|Whose Birthday is It?|
|Airdate||Monday, May 26, 2003 (Nickelodeon)|
June 2003 (Kideo VHS and DVD)
Monday, June 14, 2004 (Nickelodeon; restored version)
|Written by||Chris Gifford|
|Directed by||Sherie Pollack|
|Next||Current airings: The Lost City|
Earlier airings: León, the Circus Lion
Whose Birthday is It? is the 25th episode of Dora the Explorer from Season 2.
- Swiper (original version only)
- Fiesta Trio
- Big Red Chicken
- Ant Eater
- Elevator (debut)
- Tram (debut)
- Sneezing Snakes (debut)
- Diego (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Baby Jaguar (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Saltador Star (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Glowy Star (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Hero Star (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Magico Star (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Rocket Star (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Grumpy Old Troll (seen in the Season 3-4 intro (if one looks closely))
- Baby Blue Bird (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Señor Tucán (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Mami (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
- Papi (seen in the Season 3-4 intro)
"Happy Birthday to you", plays the birthday balloon as it floats by high in the sky. There's going to be a birthday party today! But, whose is it? Join Dora and Boots on a birthday adventure as they go over Cupcake Mountain and across Sneezing Snake Lake to join the party at Play Park. The viewer will never believe whose birthday it is!
Dora visits Boots' treehouse. Suddenly, she and Boots saw and heard birthday party-like music in the sky. It was a birthday balloon, which represents someone who is having a birthday. Inside the balloon are presents, candy, cake, streamers, and goody bags. There's going to be a birthday party. The problem was that Dora and Boots weren't sure whose birthday it was. It wasn't Dora's, nor Boots', nor Map's, nor Backpack's birthday. It was a big mystery. Dora and Boots follow the birthday balloon to find out. The birthday balloon goes out of sight which caused Dora and Boots to wonder it's going. They ask Map for assistance. He says the Birthday Balloon is going to Play Park, which is where the birthday party will be held. But before they can get there, they have to go over Cupcake Mountain and across Sneezing Snake Lake. Dora and Boots are ready to solve the mystery of whose birthday it is. They picture the places in their heads as the follow the direction of the Birthday Balloon. Later, they heard the sound of a party blower. Tico was blowing it. They have to play a listening game to find him. Dora and Boots heard a marimba sound, a party blower sound, a mariachi sound and a conch shell sound. Boots thought Tico was behind the rock, but it was actually a capybara brushing on the mariachi. The viewer tells them that Tico was in the tree. Once they found him, they find an armadillo playing the marimba and an anteater blowing the conch shell. Dora and Boots asked Tico if it was his birthday and it wasn't. So they still had to follow the birthday balloon to find out. Soon, Dora, Boots, and Tico reached Cupcake Mountain. They saw 3 elevators. Dora, Boots, and Tico had to ride on all 3 of them to completely reach the top. They get on the first one, but it didn't go. Boots tried yelling "Go, elevator, go!", but to no avail. Suddenly, the elevator goes "¿Como?" for "What?". So they had to say the Spanish word for "go" which is "Vamos". They say it and it moves. They get on the next elevator and said "¡Vamos!" to it and up they went. They are almost to the top. They get on the last elevator and said "¡Vamos!" once more. And in no time, they made it all the way to the top. After that, they saw cupcakes of 3 different flavors on bushes. There were vanilla, chocolate, and tutti-frutti cupcakes. They took a bite of the cupcakes. After their cupcake snack, Dora, Boots, and Tico used a tram to get down Cupcake Mountain. They had to say the Spanish word "Vamos" one more time in order to get it to move. They do so and the tram went down. After reaching the bottom, they get off and continue on the path to Sneezing Snake Lake. Along the way, they find Isa in a party hat. Dora and Boots thought maybe it is Isa's birthday. They asked her and she said it was not her birthday and Dora still wonders whose birthday it is. So they still have to keep going to Play Park until they find out. Soon, Dora, Boots, Tico, and Isa approached Sneezing Snake Lake. They needed something they can use to get across. Just then a log boat comes out of hiding and parks on the edge of the dock. They had to put on lifejackets to ride on Sneezing Snake Lake. Tico already turned his vest into one but Dora, Boots, and Isa need lifejackets of their own. Luckily, Backpack has three lifejackets, which is enough for everyone. After that, they all get on the log boat. Dora gets in the driver seat and starts driving the boat. The log boat stops and there were sneezing snakes. Dora needed help from the viewer to drive the log boat to get away from the sneezing snakes. Dora drives the log boat and there was one snake on the left side. Dora steers the boat to the right. There were 2 snakes on the right side and Dora steers the boat to the left. There were 3 snakes on the left and Dora steers the boat to the right and then stops the log boat by the dock so that she and her friends can get out. So far, Dora and Boots went over Cupcake Mountain and drove the log boat while avoiding the sneezing snakes at Sneezing Snake Lake. They are getting so close to Play Park to solve the mystery of who will be having the birthday party. They just have to get there. Dora, Boots, Isa, and Tico saw Benny on his bike. It was decorated with party streamers. They asked Benny if it was his birthday and it wasn't. So they still had to go to Play Park to find out whose birthday it is. Play Park was at the top of a hill. Suddenly, something makes the ground shake. It was Big Red Chicken. Isa noticed he was all dressed up. Dora asked Big Red Chicken if it was his birthday. He said no, but couldn't wait to get to the party to find out whose birthday it is. Big Red Chicken gave Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa, and Tico a ride on his back and in no time they got up to Play Park. The Birthday Balloon was coming towards Play Park. Dora explained to the viewer that the Birthday Balloon will show the viewer whose birthday it is. As Dora, Boots, and their friends repeat the question "Whose birthday is it?" to the viewer multiple times, the Birthday Balloon slowly turns around and reveals a picture of Swiper the fox. After that, Dora, Boots, and their friends had to call out to Swiper as loud as they could to make sure if it really is his birthday. Sure enough, Swiper appears at the top of a slide. Swiper gets on it and slides down to solid ground. Dora asks Swiper if it was his birthday and it was. Now that Dora and her friends solved the mystery, Swiper had to pull the string on the Birthday Balloon to start the party. He did so and then the Birthday Balloon popped open and there was confetti, presents, candy, goody bags, and a birthday cake with Swiper's picture on it. Dora realized that Play Park turned into Party Park. Then, they all sang "Happy Birthday" to Swiper. After that, he made a wish and blew out the candles. The episode ends with Dora and her friends singing the "We Did It!" song and eating some pieces of Swiper's birthday cake.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Bongo drums
- Lifejacket for Isa (one of the correct items)
- Lifejacket for Dora (also one of the correct items)
- Safari hat
- Lifejacket for Boots (another one of the correct items)
Listen to the sounds
- Armadillo playing a marimba in the bush
- Tico blowing his party blowers in the tree
- Anteater blowing a conch shell in the flower bush
- Capybara playing the mariachi in the rock
- There was also a personalized version of this episode made by Kideo, where a kid (depending on a copy) celebrates a birthday party instead of Swiper. The personalized version was available on VHS and DVD. There are some other differences in the personalized version compared to the original:
- Swiper is absent in the personalized version.
- During the We Did It! song, the original version has Boots saying a line going "There are lots of presents here, some come in a box!". In the personalized version, he instead says "We're so happy we were with you on your birthday today!". Then after Dora's line following "Whose birthday is it?!". In the personalized version, she doesn’t say "Swiper the Fox!" as the answer, she instead says the person's name in the copy, and "That’s you!" after that.
- In the original version, when Dora and Boots are almost finished singing We Did It!, Boots doesn’t say "Hooray!". Instead, Swiper says that line. Isa says it in the personalized version due to Swiper absent.
- At the end of the personalized version, Dora says "Thanks for having us at your party! Happy birthday!" instead of the usual line, "We couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for helping!", which is used in the original version only.
- In the credits of the personalized version, the kid rides Azul.
- In the original version at the beginning of the character find, the icons shown are Baby Red Fish, Azul, Isa, Backpack, and Swiper. In the personalized version, the icon with Baby Red Fish is replaced with the Fiesta Trio. Underneath the icon, it just says "Trio". Also, Backpack's icon was replaced by Tico's.
- In the original version, Swiper wears a birthday crown, but in the personalized version, the kid does not wear it.
- Benny does not say, "A birthday cake with Swiper's picture on it!" in the personalized version, simply because Swiper does not appear in it. He instead says "That cake sure looks yummy!".
- In the personalized version, the cake does not have a picture of the kid in it, it instead says "Happy Birthday" on the top and the kid's name in the middle.
- Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa, Tico, and the Big Red Chicken do not call out to Swiper (because he is not in it), they instead yell out "It's time for a party!".
- Dora and Boots do not ask the kid if it is his/her birthday. Instead, Dora says "You're here! Hooray for [kid’s name]!". After that, unlike the original version, Benny says "Here comes the birthday balloon!".
- In the original version, when Dora, Boots, Tico, Isa, Benny and Big Red Chicken tell Swiper to pull the string, they say "Pull the string, Swiper!", but they don’t do that in the personalized version (because a kid replaces Swiper). They actually instead chant "Pull the string!" 4 times to the kid.
- In the personalized version, after Dora tells the kid to make a wish, she says, "Now blow out your candles." one time and "Blow!" 4 times.
- After Dora asks almost every question, she says the kid's name. (Example: "Do you see Cupcake Mountain, [kid's name]?")
- In the personalized version, Dora and Boots blow party blowers after Map and Backpack say the line "We did it!". In the original version, this doesn’t happen. Instead, everyone is dancing before Boots' line "We went over Cupcake Mountain".
- At the end of the "We Did It!" song in the personalized version, the blue cursor does not click on Dora and Boots.
- In the personalized version, Dora, Boots, Tico, Isa, Benny and the Big Red Chicken still sing the actual Happy Birthday song to the kid instead of Feliz Cumpleaños.
- The newer design of the front cover of the personalized version was never used on the old VHS, just the DVD.
- This is the first episode where Sneezing Snake Lake is a location. It will return in the Season 4 episode The Shy Rainbow.
- This is the third episode where Play Park is the last place Dora and Boots go. They also traveled there in The Happy Old Troll and To the Monkey Bars.
- Two scenes from this episode (one where Boots does a cartwheel then a backflip over a log while Dora jumps over it during the Travel Song and the other where Dora and Boots jump in the air at the end of the song) were used in the Dora's Pirate Adventure VHS and DVD trailer.
- This is the first episode in which Dora drives a vehicle rather than Tico.
- The scene with Dora driving the log boat across Sneezing Snake Lake is later used in Noisy Star's explorer star mini-game where the viewer had to tell Dora what Noisy Star was warning her about.
- Dora and Boots only sing the Travel Song once because the other 2 times on the way to Play Park, they no longer sing it again, they immediately run to the places and they run into their friends on the way asking them if it’s their birthday.
- The walking animations in the Travel Song during the "Come on, Vamanos!" and "Where are we going?" are recycled from The Big Storm. They were also used in The Missing Piece, Lost Squeaky, Doctor Dora, El Día De Las Madres, Lost Map, School Pet and Quack! Quack!. This is the last episode to use them.
- As Dora and Boots were on their way to Cupcake Mountain, the Nutty Forest can be seen as a cameo appearance and a sub place as they saw Tico with his party blowers.
- This is the 51st episode of the show.
- This the third episode where Isa spoke Spanish. She said "Hola!" to Tico. She first spoke Spanish in Bugga Bugga, in which she said "Abre", and the second time was To the Treehouse, in which she said "Gracias!".
- Swiper is on his good side in this episode without any swiping since it is his birthday.
- Although Swiper did not mention how old he's turning, there were ten candles on his cake meaning that he is 10 years old. This would also make him 9 in The Legend of the Big Red Chicken until the previous episode.
- When the Birthday Balloon flies over to Play Park, the screen shows the view of it way high up in the sky that one can see Cupcake Mountain and Sneezing Snake Lake.
- This is one of few episodes where Backpack and Map technically play a major role, due to Dora talking about who is not having a birthday each time after she asks her friends if it’s their birthday.
- This is the fourth instance where Tico spoke English. He said "Whose birthday is it?" with the cast to the viewer. He also sang the Happy Birthday song to Swiper in English instead of Spanish.
- The book uses the same title seen here.
- Unlike the season 1 episode "Surprise!", Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa, Tico, and Big Red Chicken do not sing Feliz Cumpleaños to Swiper, they instead sing the actual Happy Birthday song.
- In the personalized version, they still sing it to kid instead of Feliz Cumpleaños.
- It is very rare for a cartoon, TV show, or movie to use the "Happy Birthday to You" as a song for a character's birthday.
- It is unknown how Swiper got to Play Park.
- Swiper does not make his rustling sound as he climbs up the slide.
- This is the second episode where Dora and her friends had to call out to Swiper, first being Pinto, the Pony Express.
- This episode and What Happens Next? are the only two episodes where the title is named after a question.
- This is the first episode where Azul gets his Character Find segment, and he is voiced by Phillip Miller instead of Jordan-Smith Howie.
- After Map tells the viewer how Dora and Boots can get to Play Park, he doesn't say "so you tell Dora", he instead says "so remember".
- This is first episode (and the only produced Season 2 episode) in which he says that. However, in the next episode, The Lost City, he says "so remember" as well instead of "so you tell Dora", but it’s an aired Season 2 episode and a produced Season 3 episode.
- This is the first episode to introduce the birthday balloon. It will later appear again in Dora's Big Birthday Adventure, but it is a different color (magenta and pink) and has Dora's picture on it. The birthday balloon in this episode is yellow and orange with Swiper's picture on it.
- This episode premiered on Memorial Day 2003 (Flag Day 2004 for the restored version).
- Although it premiered in 2003 (2004 for the restored version), it was actually made in 2001 according to the credits.
- This is the last episode in which, after Map zoom wipes and Dora asking the viewer where to go first, she says "Thanks for helping!".
- This is one of few episodes that premiered on Nickelodeon instead of Nick Jr.
- This episode first aired in primetime - 8pm (eastern) at night, one of two special episodes shown in primetime during the spring of 2003, the other is Egg Hunt.
- This aired during Season 3 in the restored version, after ABC Animals and before Dora's Fairytale Adventure premiered.
- It is unknown why Grandma Fox didn't show up for Swiper's birthday party. However, she was mentioned in A Letter for Swiper and will happen again Swiper the Explorer, but she does not appear in any episodes until Swiper's Favorite Things.
- This is the fifth episode (and the last produced pre-Season 3 episode) using the Season 3 art style, the other four are Egg Hunt, Super Spies, School Pet, and Quack! Quack!. It was also used in The Lost City (because it is a produced Season 3 episode.)
- When this episode originally premiered on May 26, 2003, it used the the Season 1-2 opening sequence with two doors opening, entering a playroom and zooming into the green computer. However, the restored version of this episode that aired on June 14, 2004 begins with the Season 3-4 opening sequence of the Dora the Explorer Theme Song with the Explorer Stars, Diego and Baby Jaguar, and Dora and Boots swinging on a vine instead (something similar to this occurred in the episode Super Spies, which also currently uses the Season 3-4 intro on TV as of December 3, 2007) (the opening error also occurred in the episode after it, The Lost City). This may lead some to assume it is (and/or should be) a Season 3 episode as it's really a Season 2 episode.
- However, in the personalized version and on Netflix, it opens with the Season 1-2 opening sequence.
- Amazon Prime has this episode with the Season 3-4 intro.
- Although it is a Season 2 episode, a couple websites lists this as a Season 3 episode instead.
- For example, TVguide lists this episode in Season 3 (episode 20).
- After Map finishes singing I'm the Map, he does not zoom in and out of the screen when he says the final line ("I'm the MAP!") like he usually does, nor close his eyes while looking at the viewer afterwards.
- When Swiper claps his hands three times, he looks at the cake with his picture on it and his whiskers are missing. However his whiskers are seen, but the whiskers on the cake are missing.
- When Dora says something about and to Swiper, one of the ten candles on his birthday cake is missing.
- When Dora and her friends are singing We Did It!, Boots had Dora's voice when saying "Yay!" and Dora had Boots' voice when saying "Whoo!". This is the second episode where Boots had Dora's voice, first being The Big Storm.
- In the credits, it said "Whose Birthday Is It?". The first I is capitalized.
Unfortunately, this episode along with A Present for Santa, is not available on iTunes, nor are they available on YouTube (excluding some videos with clips of the episodes). However, they are both on Amazon Prime.
Azul the Blue Train (original version)
Azul the Blue Train with the kid riding him (personalized version)
|Dora the Explorer Season 2|
|The Big Storm | The Magic Stick | The Missing Piece | Rojo the Fire Truck | Lost Squeaky | Doctor Dora | The Golden Explorers | El Día De Las Madres | Lost Map | Pinto, the Pony Express | The Big Piñata | The Happy Old Troll | Super Map! | Click! | ¡Rápido, Tico! | A Present For Santa | A Letter for Swiper | Dora, La Música | Egg Hunt | Super Spies | To the Monkey Bars | Hide and Go Seek | School Pet | Quack! Quack! | Whose Birthday is It? | The Lost City | León, the Circus Lion|