|Whose Birthday is It?|
|Airdate||Monday, May 26, 2003|
|Written by|| Chris Gifford|
|Directed by||Sherie Pollack|
|Next||The Lost City|
- Swiper (original version only)
- Fiesta Trio
- Big Red Chicken
- Ant Eater
Today is someone's birthday. However, Dora and Boots don't know whose it is, so they follow a mysterious birthday balloon all the way to Play Park and find out the answer to the mystery.
One day at Boots' Treehouse, Dora and Boots saw and heard birthday party-like music in the sky. It was a birthday balloon, which represents someone's birthday. The problem was that Dora and Boots weren't sure whose birthday it was. It wasn't Dora's, nor Boots', nor Map's, nor Backpack's birthday. It was a mystery. Dora and Boots follow the birthday balloon to find out. The birthday balloon goes out of sight which caused Dora and Boots to wonder it's going. They ask Map for assistance. He says the Birthday Balloon is going to Play Park. That is where the birthday party will be held. But before they can get there, they have to go over cupcake mountain, and across sneezing snake lake. Dora and Boots are ready to solve the mystery of whose birthday it is. They picture the places in their heads as the follow the direction of the Birthday Balloon. Later, they heard the sound of a party blower. Tico was blowing the party blower. They have to play a listening game to find him. Dora and Boots heard a marimba sound, a party blower sound, a mariachi sound and a conch shell sound. Boots thought Tico was behind the rock but it was actually a capybara brushing on the mariachi. The viewer tells them that Tico was in the tree. Once they found him they saw an armadillo playing the marimba and the anteater blowing the conch shell. Dora and Boots asked Tico if it was his birthday and it wasn't. So, they still had to follow the birthday balloon to find out. Dora, Boots and Tico reached Cupcake Mountain. They used the elevators to get up to the top of the mountain. Dora, Boots and Tico had to ride on 3 of them to completely reach the top. After that, they saw cupcakes of 3 different flavors on bushes. There were vanilla, chocolate and tutti-fruitti cupcakes. They took a bite on the cupcakes. After their cupcake snack, Dora, Boots and Tico used a tram to get down Cupcake Mountain. After reaching the bottom, they get out and start walking on the path to Sneezing Snake Lake. They find Isa in a party hat. Dora and Boots asked Isa if it was her birthday. She said it was not her birthday and Dora still wonders whose birthday it is. So they still have to keep going to Play Park until they find out. Dora, Boots, Tico and Isa approached Sneezing Snake Lake. Just then a log boat comes out of hiding and parks on the edge of the dock. They had to put on lifejackets to ride on Sneezing Snake Lake. Tico already turned his vest into a lifejacket but Dora, Boots and Isa need lifejackets of their own. They get them from Backpack. After that, they all get on the log boat. Dora gets in the driver seat and starts driving the boat. The log boat stops and there were sneezing snakes. Dora needed help from the viewer to drive the log boat to get away from the sneezing snakes. Dora drives the log boat and there was one snake on the left side. Dora steers the boat to the right. There were 2 snakes on the right side and Dora steers the boat to the left. There were 3 snakes on the left and Dora steers the boat to the right and then stops the log boat by the dock so that she and her friends can get out. So far, Dora and Boots went over Cupcake Mountain and drove the log boat while avoiding the sneezing snakes at Sneezing Snake Lake. They were getting so close to Play Park to solve the mystery of who will be having the birthday party. They just have to get there. Dora, Boots, Isa and Tico saw Benny on his bike. It was decorated with party streamers. They asked Benny if it was his birthday and it wasn't. So, they still had to go to Play Park to find out whose birthday it is. Play Park was at the top of a hill. Suddenly, something makes the ground shake. It was Big Red Chicken. Isa noticed Big Red Chicken was all dressed up. Dora asked Big Red Chicken if it was his birthday. He said that it's not his birthday but couldn't wait to get to the party to find out whose birthday it is. Big Red Chicken gave Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa and Tico a ride on his back and in no time they got up to Play Park. The Birthday Balloon was coming towards Play Park. Dora explained to the viewer that the Birthday Balloon will show the viewer whose birthday it is. As Dora, Boots, and their friends repeat the question "Whose birthday is it?" to the viewer four times, the Birthday Balloon slowly turns around and reveals a picture of Swiper the fox. After that, Dora, Boots, and their friends had to call out to Swiper to make sure if it really is his birthday. Sure enough, Swiper appears at the top of a slide. Swiper gets on it and slides down to solid ground. Dora asks Swiper if it was his birthday and it was. Now that Dora and her friends solved the mystery, Swiper had to pull the string on the Birthday Balloon to start the party. He did so and then the Birthday Balloon popped open and there was confetti, presents, candy, goody bags and a birthday cake with Swiper's picture on it. Dora realized that Play Park turned into Party Park. Then, they all sang "Happy Birthday" to Swiper. After that, Swiper made a wish and blew out the candles.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Bongo drums
- Lifejacket for Isa (one of the correct items)
- Lifejacket for Dora (one of the correct items)
- Safari hat
- Lifejacket for Boots (one of the correct items)
Listen to the sounds
- Armadillo playing a marimba in the bush
- Tico blowing his party blowers in the tree
- Anteater blowing a conch shell in the flower bush
- Capybara playing the mariachi in the rock
- This was also a personalized version of this episode made by Kideo, where a kid (depending on a copy) celebrates a birthday party instead of Swiper. The personalized version was available on VHS and DVD. There are some other differences in the personalized version compared to the original:
- Swiper is absent in the personalized version.
- During the We Did It! song, the original version has Boots saying a line that goes "There are lots of presents here, some come in a box!". In the personalized version, he says "We're so happy we were with you on your birthday today!" instead. Then after Dora's line following "Whose birthday is it?!". In the personalized version, she doesn’t say "Swiper the Fox!" as the answer, she instead says the person's name in the copy, and says "That’s you!" after that.
- In the original version, when Dora and Boots are almost finished singing We Did It!, Boots doesn’t say "Hooray!". Instead, Swiper says that line. Isa says it in the personalized version due to Swiper absent.
- At the end of the personalized version, Dora says "Thanks for having us at your party! Happy birthday!" instead of the usual ending, "We couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for helping!", which is used in the original version only.
- In the credits of the personalized version, the kid rides Azul.
- In the original version at the beginning of the character find, the icons shown are Baby Red Fish, Azul, Isa, Backpack, and Swiper. In the personalized version, the icon with Baby Red Fish is replaced with the Fiesta Trio. Underneath the icon, it just says "Trio". Also, Backpack was replaced by Tico.
- In the original version, Swiper wears a birthday crown, but in the personalized version, the kid does not wear the crown.
- Benny does not say, "A birthday cake with Swiper's picture on it!" in the personalized version, simply because Swiper does not appear in it. He instead says "That cake sure looks yummy!".
- In the personalized version, the cake does not have a picture of the kid in it, it instead says "Happy Birthday" on the top and the kid's name in the middle.
- Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa, Tico, and the Big Red Chicken do not call out to Swiper (because he is not in it), they instead yell out "It's time for a party!".
- Dora and Boots do not ask the kid if it is his/her birthday. Instead, Dora says "You're here! Hooray for [kid’s name]!". After that, unlike the original version, Benny says "Here comes the birthday balloon!".
- In the original version, when Dora, Boots, Tico, Isa, Benny and Big Red Chicken tell Swiper to pull the string, they say "Pull the string, Swiper!", but they don’t do that in the personalized version (because a kid replaces Swiper). They actually instead chant "Pull the string!" 4 times to the kid.
- After Dora asks almost every question, she says the kid's name. (Example: "Do you see Cupcake Mountain, [kid's name]?")
- In the personalized version, Dora and Boots blow party blowers after Map and Backpack say the line "We did it!". In the original version, this doesn’t happen. Instead, everyone is dancing before Boots' line "We went over Cupcake Mountain".
- At the end of the "We Did It!" song in the personalized version, the blue cursor does not click on Dora and Boots.
- In the personalized version, Dora, Boots, Tico, Isa, Benny and the Big Red Chicken still sing the actual Happy Birthday song to the kid instead of Feliz Cumpleaños.
- The newer design of the front cover of the personalized version was never used on the old VHS, just the DVD.
- This is the first episode where Sneezing Snake Lake is a location. It will return in the Season 4 episode The Shy Rainbow.
- This is the third episode where Play Park is the last place Dora and Boots go. They also traveled there in The Happy Old Troll and To the Monkey Bars.
- Two scenes from this episode (one where Boots does a cartwheel then a backflip over a log while Dora jumps over it during the Travel Song and the other where Dora and Boots jump in the air at the end of the song) were used in the Dora's Pirate Adventure VHS and DVD trailer.
- The scene with Dora driving the log boat across Sneezing Snake Lake is later used in Noisy Star's explorer star mini-game where the viewer had to tell Dora what Noisy Star was warning her about.
- Dora and Boots only sing the Travel Song once because the other 2 times on the way to Play Park, they no longer sing it again, they immediately run to the places and they run into their friends on the way asking them if it’s their birthday.
- As Dora and Boots were on their way to Cupcake Mountain, the Nutty Forest made a cameo appearance as a sub place as they saw Tico with his party blowers.
- This is the 51st episode of the show.
- This the third episode where Isa spoke Spanish, she said "Hola!" to Tico. She first spoke Spanish in Bugga Bugga, in which she said "Abre", and the second time was To the Treehouse, in which she said "Gracias!".
- Swiper is on his good side in this episode without any swiping since it is his birthday.
- Although Swiper did not mention how old he's turning, there were ten candles on his cake meaning that he is 10 years old. This would also make him 9 in The Legend of the Big Red Chicken until the previous episode.
- When the Birthday Balloon flies over to Play Park, the screen shows the view of it way high up in the sky that one can see Cupcake Mountain and Sneezing Snake Lake.
- The book uses the same title seen here.
- Unlike the season 1 episode "Surprise!", Dora, Boots, Benny, Isa, Tico, and Big Red Chicken do not sing Feliz Cumpleaños to Swiper, they instead sing the actual Happy Birthday song.
- In the personalized version, they still sing it to kid and not Feliz Cumpleaños.
- Swiper does not make his rustling sound as he comes up the slide.
- This is the second episode where Dora and her friends had to call out to Swiper, first being Pinto, the Pony Express.
- This is the first episode where Azul gets his Character Find segment, and he is voiced by Phillip Miller instead of Jordan Smith Howie.
- After Map tells the viewer how Dora and Boots can get to Play Park, he doesn't say "so you tell Dora", he instead says "so remember". This is first episode (and the only produced Season 2 episode) in which he says that. However, in the next episode, The Lost City, he says "so remember" as well instead of "so you tell Dora", but it’s an aired Season 2 episode and a produced Season 3 episode.
- This is the first episode to introduce the birthday balloon. It will later appear again in Dora's Big Birthday Adventure, but it is a different color (magenta and pink) and has Dora's picture on it. The birthday balloon in this episode is yellow and orange with Swiper's picture on it.
- This episode premiered on Memorial Day 2003.
- Although it premiered in 2003, it was actually made in 2001 according to the credits.
- This is the last episode in which, after Map zoom wipes and Dora asking the viewer where to go first, she says "Thanks for helping!".
- This is one of few episodes that premiered on Nick instead of Nick Jr.
- When this episode originally premiered, it used the the Season 1-2 opening sequence with two doors opening, entering a playroom and zooming into the green computer. However, the restored version of this episode begins with the Season 3-4 opening sequence of the Dora The Explorer Theme Song with the Explorer Stars, Diego and Baby Jaguar, and Dora and Boots swinging on a vine instead (the same problem occurs with the episode after it, The Lost City). This may lead some to assume it is and/or should be a Season 3 episode as it's really a Season 2 episode.
- However, in the personalized version, it opens with the Season 1-2 opening sequence.
- After Map finishes singing I'm the Map, he does not zoom in and out of the screen and then close his eyes while looking at the viewer.
- When Swiper claps his hands three times, he looks at the cake with his picture on it, it does not feature his whiskers.
- When Dora says something about and to Swiper, the one of the ten candles on his birthday cake is missing.
Unfortunately, this episode along with A Present for Santa, is not available on iTunes or YouTube. However, they are both on Amazon Prime.
Azul the Blue Train (original version)
Azul the Blue Train with the person in the copy riding him (personalized version)
|Dora the Explorer Season 2|
|The Big Storm | The Magic Stick | The Missing Piece | Rojo the Fire Truck | Lost Squeaky | Doctor Dora | The Golden Explorers | El Día De Las Madres | Lost Map | Pinto, the Pony Express | The Big Piñata | The Happy Old Troll | Super Map! | Click! | ¡Rápido, Tico! | A Present For Santa | A Letter for Swiper | Dora, La Músico | Egg Hunt | Super Spies | To the Monkey Bars | Hide and Go Seek | School Pet | Quack! Quack! | Whose Birthday is It? | The Lost City | León, the Circus Lion|