|To the South Pole|
|Airdate||Tuesday, October 7, 2003 (VHS and DVD)|
Monday, January 16, 2006 (Nickelodeon)
|Episode||14 (or 15 in earlier airings) (aired on television)|
3 (or 4 in earlier airings) (due to being shown on VHS and DVD first)
|Written by||Ashley Mendoza|
|Previous||Television: Boots' Special Day
Due to VHS and DVD: Meet Diego!
|Next||Airing on Television: Journey to the Purple Planet
Due to VHS and DVD: Stuck Truck
To the South Pole is the 14th episode (15th in earlier airings) aired on TV (or the 3rd (or 4th in earlier airings) shown episode, due to it being shown on VHS and DVD first) of Dora the Explorer from Season 3.
- Fiesta Trio
- Diego's mother (mentioned)
- Diego's father (mentioned)
- Helada Star (debut)
- Penguino (debut)
- Avíon (debut)
- Penguins (debut)
Dora, Boots, and Diego need to take a baby emperor penguin named Penguino home to the south pole. Along the way, they travel by prop plane, expedition boat, and a snowmobile.
Dora and Boots visit Diego who works at the Animal Rescue Center, a place where animals go if they are hurt, sick, or lost. Boots wanted to know if there was any new animals that are lost today. Suddenly, a horn beeps. That means the rescue truck had a lost animal. It was in a small pool filled with ice. It was a penguin named Penguino. They said hello to the penguin and he said "hola". Penguino then got hot and sweaty and is far away from home. Diego checks his field journal, which is ideal to show where each animal lives. They find out that penguins live where it's cold. More specifically, penguins live in the south pole where it's very, very cold. They had to figure out how to get to the south pole to bring Penguino home. They ask Map for help. He says that they have to go across an icy body of water, next they have to go up a big snowy mountain, and that's how they'll get to the south pole. Map also reminds them to try to catch stars along the way. Dora, Boots, Diego, and Penguino got going. They first have to find the icy water. They find it with help from the viewer. They use an airplane to get them there. Since Dora, Boots, and Diego are going to the south pole where it's very cold, they had to dress warm. They put on parkas which is a nice thick and warm coat. They buckled up and off they went. Up, up and away! Diego tells Boots that penguins are birds that don't fly and it was Penguino's first time. Suddenly, they hear stars. There was even an explorer star that looked icy. It was named Helada. Dora wanted to catch her. They each caught a star. Then, they put them in the star pocket. After that, the group reached cold territory. They thanked the airplane for the ride. Now, they just have to find a way across the icy water. They saw a boat, but it was locked up. Penguino found the keys to unlock the padlock securing the boat. Suddenly, they heard Swiper the fox. Swiper swipes the keys and throws them into the icy water. Penguino dived into the icy water to get back the keys. The keys were in an oyster. Penguino dove down deep and got back the keys and swam up to the surface. Now that they got the keys back, they can sail across the icy water. Suddenly, the boat runs into an iceberg. They were stuck. Diego calls out to a blue whale. The group also called out to the blue whale. The blue whale was able to clear the way. They were on the move once again. They made it across the icy water and now they had to get up the snowy mountain. They see a snowmobile built for 4. They put on their helmets and their seatbelts on. They got going but then they saw an array of seals. Dora, Boots, Diego, and Penguino clapped and imitated the seal's sound and the seals moved out of the way. Not long after, they reach the snowy mountain. They thanked the snowmobile for the ride. Boots tried to walk up the snowy mountain but slipped down to the bottom. Luckily, Penguino had a different approach. He started waddling up the mountain. Dora, Boots, and Diego waddled like penguins up the mountain. And together they waddled up to the top. As they were on top of the mountain, it started to break apart. They get separated. Dora and Diego were on one half of the mountain as it lowered with Boots and Penguino on the other half of the mountain raised up. Dora checks her backpack for a rope. Sure enough, Backpack does indeed have one. They find it but it gets stuck in Backpack's background. The viewer pulls the rope free. Dora gets the rope and throws it to Boots. He had to pick up Penguino and using his tail slid down the rescue line. After that, Helada comes out of the star pocket. Helada makes a path for the group to slide down. Helada goes back into the star pocket and the group slide down the path. So far, the group went across the Icy Water and over the snowy mountain, they were getting close to bringing the penguin home. They just have to go to the south pole. They slide down a big snowy hill. Once they made to the south pole, they had to find Penguino's parents. Dora, Boots, and Diego imitate the penguin's sound to call out to them. Immediately after that, they respond and the penguin family was back together.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise from the top right)
- Winter Hat (same one from To the Monkey Bars)
- Conga Drum
- Rope (correct item)
- Ski Goggles
- Water Bottle
- Prop plane (to get to the Icy Water)
- Expedition boat (across the Icy Water)
- Snowmobile (to get to Snowy Mountain)
- This episode aired on the VHS and DVD title "Meet Diego!" before it aired on TV.
- This is the 67th or 68th episode aired on TV (or the 56th or 57th shown episode, due to it being shown on VHS and DVD on October 7, 2003) of the show.
- Swiper is seen in his winter clothes and skiing in this episode.
- Benny, Tico, and Isa don't appear in this episode.
- This is the second time that the rope gets stuck during Backpack's segment, first being Meet Diego!.
- Coincidentally, both of these episodes (this and the aforementioned episode) were put together on the Meet Diego! VHS and DVD and the same problem occurred during the Backpack segment.
- Dora, Boots, and Diego don't sing the Travel Song in this episode, they're not supposed to anyway because they immediately get to all the places they need to go, they ride in an airplane and catch stars on the way to the first place, then they ride in a snowmobile to the second place, then they slide down snowy mountain getting to the third place. In fact, there are no songs sung other than We Did It! (excluding the Dora the Explorer Theme Song, I'm The Map, and Backpack, Backpack).
- This episode also aired during the Journey to the Center of Adventure marathon on Monday, January 16, 2006, which features episodes from Dora the Explorer and Go, Diego, Go! from 9AM-2PM et, and this episode aired at 1:30pm as the last episode to air during the marathon.
- This is the only episode seeing Dora, Boots, and Swiper as ice sculptures during the end credits of Helada's mini-game.
- Dora and Boots look like their Season 1 selves in the ice sculptures.
- Map stands on the bottom left in this episode instead of the top left.
- It is unknown how Swiper got to the arctic. He does not wear a parka either, he just has a scarf and ski goggles.
- It is also unknown how the Fiesta Trio got there. They also do not wear parkas, just scarves.
- Same thing with the Explorer Stars, and they do not wear anything.
- This episode introduces Dora‘s pink winter clothes and Boots' yellow winter clothes from A Present for Santa and A Letter for Swiper in a new version. They are now parkas.
- Due to this episode being shown on Meet Diego! before airing on TV, it is the first episode where Map sings the full version of the Season 3 onwards version of I'm the Map. If the VHS and DVD airing does not count, then ¡Por Favor! is the first episode to do so.
- He added verses such as "Who's the guy you need to know when you got a place to go?" and "Who can help you say 'Hey, I figured out the way!' ", followed by "What's my name?" and "Say it again!" with the Fiesta Trio saying "The Map!" after both questions.
- When Dora, Boots, and Diego ride a snowmobile and put on their seat belts, they're not wearing any helmets but when the snowmobile immediately moves and gets them to the second place, they're somehow wearing helmets.
- When Diego puts his parka on, his orange backpack (later known as Rescue Pack in 2005 on Dora and Diego to the Rescue! and Go, Diego, Go!) disappears for the rest of the episode. It is unknown why.
- When Dora asks the viewers to say, "Backpack!", she was wearing the star pocket, but during her song, one can see that she is seen wearing both her normal and original pockets again from Season 1-2 and she sings her full song Backpack, Backpack.
Number of stars
Ice Sculptures made in the credits
|Dora the Explorer Season 3|
|Dora Had a Little Lamb | Meet Diego! | Stuck Truck | Roberto the Robot | The Big Potato | Rescue, Rescue, Rescue! | Save the Puppies! | ¡Por Favor! | What Happens Next? | The Fix-it Machine | Baby Dino | Baseball Boots | Boots' Special Day | To the South Pole | Journey to the Purple Planet | Boo! | Dora Saves the Game | Dora's Pirate Adventure | The Super Silly Fiesta | Boots' Cuddly Dinosaur | Job Day | Louder! | ABC Animals|