Tico (originally known as Tico the Skunk in the 1998 pilot) is a dark purple squirrel and a friend of Dora's who lives in the forest and is very fluent in Spanish and very seldom speaks any English. He wears a colorful striped vest and is usually seen driving his little yellow car, although he has been known to travel in a variety of vehicles, from helicopters to boats. He has purple fur, a round body, and small triangular stumps for arms and legs.
A four-year-old Spanish-speaking squirrel and a good friend to Dora. While Tico is young and playful, he can also be brave and heroic. Since Tico can operate any vehicle--everything from a bicycle-powered plane to a Super Spy boat-car--he has been known to save the day in a crisis. He is often found driving in his little yellow car or in his tree at the Nutty Forest.
Tico's function on the show is to help Dora teach the audience words and phrases in Spanish; Dora has to tell Tico something in Spanish, such as "Faster" or "Look out", and she asks the viewers at home to say it along with her. In some episodes, a different Spanish-speaking character (such as Señor Tucán) appears instead of Tico.
In the episode "Dora's First Trip", it was established that Boots had been friends with Tico before Dora met either of them, despite the fact that Boots and Tico speak two different languages.
Tico has purple fur, white eyes, a pink nose, black pupils, and a long tail. He wears a colorful striped vest consisting of colors orange, magenta, dark violet, lime, and blue.
Before he became a squirrel, in the pilot, Tico was originally a dark blue skunk with red hair and a yellow belly.
Tico appears in most episodes of Dora the Explorer. His first appearance was in "Hic-Boom-Ohhh".
- Tico first spoke English in Beaches, he said "Swiper no swiping!". He also did that in We're a Team!. It is possible that it is the only phrase he does not know how to say in Spanish.
- When Tico appeared on "Dora In Wonderland," his role was Tweedledee.
- Tico appeared on the Dora and Friends: Into the City! episode "Return to the Rainforest".
- Tico talks mostly if not only Spanish throughout the Dora the Explorer series, but he tries learning some English, Boots mentions that he'll teach Tico English in First Day of School.
- Aside from the Pirate Adventure photo in Journey to Jaguar Mountain, Tico, along with Isa and Benny, never makes an appearance in Go, Diego, Go!.
Main Márquez family
|Dora | Diego | Alicia | Mami | Papi | Abuela | Guillermo | Isabella|
|Swiper | Grumpy Old Troll | Bobo Brothers | Alejandro|
|Backpack | Map | Rescue Pack | Click|
|Boots | Tico | Benny | Isa | Big Red Chicken | Señor Tucán | Fiesta Trio | Baby Jaguar|
|Pablo | Alana | Emma | Kate | Naiya | Sammy | Randy|