|Swiper the Explorer|
|Airdate||Saturday, January 22, 2005 (Nick Jr. on CBS, original)|
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 (TVO Kids)
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 (VHS and DVD)
Sunday, March 21, 2010 (Nickelodeon)
|Season||Earlier Airings: 4|
Current Airings: 5
|Episode||Earlier Airings: 6|
Current Airings: 20
|Written by||Eric Weiner|
|Directed by||Sherie Pollack|
|Previous||Earlier Airings: The Shy Rainbow|
Current Airings: Boots' Banana Wish
|Next||Earlier Airings: Star Mountain|
Current Airings: Dora's Big Birthday Adventure
Swiper the Explorer is the 6th episode of Dora the Explorer from Season 4. (20th and penultimate episode of Season 5 in current airings).
- Fiesta Trio
- Baby Fox (debut)
- Grandma Fox (mentioned)
- Bear (debut)
Dora and Boots hear a crying sound and discovered a lost Baby Fox. When Swiper appeared to "swipe" Boots' ball, he sees the Baby Fox and volunteers to help bring him back home to his mommy. Wow! Swiper wants to help! He even learns to say "thank you"!
The episode starts with Dora and Boots playing with a ball. Suddenly, they hear a sobbing sound. They find a baby fox who was lost and was looking for his parents. Suddenly, Swiper the fox was heard making his whisking sound. Dora & Boots stop Swiper by saying "Swiper no Swiping" 3 times. He snaps his fingers, but just as he is about to run away as usual, he turns around and sees the baby fox. Dora and Boots were very amazed. Swiper was playing with the baby fox. Dora & Boots told Swiper that the baby fox was lost and needed to get home. Swiper offered to help get Baby Fox home, which surprised Dora & Boots and they accepted his request. And so they started taking Baby Fox home and then Boots and Swiper both said "But, we don't know where Baby Fox lives". They had to ask Map for directions on how to get Baby Fox home. When Map saw that Swiper was helping, he was most surprised. Map says that Baby Fox's family is at the fox hole. Before they can get there, they had to go past the volcano and through the forest of prickers and thorns. Dora, Boots, and Swiper got going and started taking Baby Fox home. Dora & Boots get ahead and then Swiper falls behind. Dora and Boots turn back and saw that Swiper's arms were getting tired from carrying Baby Fox. Swiper needed a better way to carry Baby Fox. Dora asks Backpack and explains that Swiper is helping. Even Backpack was most surprised and amazed to see Swiper helping out. Swiper needed something to carry Baby Fox. Luckily, Backpack had the right tool for Swiper to carry Baby Fox. It was called a baby carrier, which is like a sack with 2 small holes where the legs go through and a big hole on top for where one's hands and head stick out. Now, they continued on their way to the volcano. But then, Baby Fox went "tengo sed". Swiper went "what's wrong, Baby Fox?" and couldn't figure out what Baby Fox wants. He also admits that he does not know Spanish and wishes he did. So, Dora helps Swiper out. Baby Fox goes "tengo sed", which means that Baby Fox was thirsty. Suddenly, they see Benny having a picnic. Benny was surprised to see Swiper helping out. Swiper needed a drink for Baby Fox. Benny had lots of food and thought he packed a carton of milk. Sure enough, the viewer finds the carton of milk and then Benny pulls out a baby bottle that he packed (for no reason). So, Benny pours the milk into the baby bottle for Baby Fox. Then at last, Dora, Boots, and Swiper reach the volcano with Baby Fox. The ground starts to shake and the baby bottle gets knocked off Swiper's hands. The volcano erupts and bouncy balls bury the baby bottle. Swiper was good at swiping. So, he was away all the bouncy balls from top to bottom. After that, they get the baby bottle back and then Dora, Boots, and Swiper had to run to get away from the volcano. After running fast enough, tons and tons of bouncy balls come out of the volcano leaving a giant mess. Dora, Boots, and Swiper check the Map to find out where to go next. Map places a checkmark by the volcano. Now they have to go to the Forest of Prickers and Thorns. They continue on their trip once again to take Baby Fox home to the fox hole. Suddenly, they meet a friendly big brown bear. He growls friendly at Baby Fox accidentally scaring him he cries and the big brown bear tried to calm him down saying "Oops don't cry, I'm a friendly bear" But the baby fox is still scared. Swiper knew a funny dance he remembered whenever he got a boo-boo. Swiper's grandma would wiggle from side-to-side and wiggle all around. Dora, Boots, and the viewer at home try it out to cheer up Baby Fox and stop him from crying. After the funny dance, Baby Fox was cheered up. They say goodbye to the big brown bear and head off. Dora, Boots, and Swiper reach the forest of prickers and thorns. There were lots of animals in the forest of prickers and thorns. Suddenly, Diego comes along. Diego was proud that Swiper was helping out and he knew all about animals especially the ones who live in the forest of prickers and thorns. Diego explained that they were the chasing bats, the wacky crows, and the scurry-scurry spiders. Boots asked Diego about how they're going to make it past the chasing bats, wacky crows, and the scurry-scurry spiders. Diego tells Boots as well as everyone else that there was only one thing to do and that was to run. Suddenly, Baby Fox jumps out of the baby carrier and bravely runs off on his own. Dora, Boots, Diego, and Swiper had to catch up with him. Baby Fox was all by himself and saw the wacky crows. Baby Fox had to run and the viewer tells him "corre" which is Spanish for "run". Baby Fox heard the viewer and started running. Suddenly, Baby Fox stops in front of a pricker bush. Baby fox will have to jump over the pricker bush. The viewer helps him out by saying "salta" which was the Spanish word for "jump". The viewer will have to keep telling Baby Fox to run, run and jump by saying "corre, corre, salta" so he can keep away from the chasing bats. Baby Fox gets away from the chasing bats and then the wacky crows start chasing Baby Fox. The viewer tells Baby Fox "corre, corre, salta" and started running, running and jumping over more pricker bushes. So far, Baby Fox got away from the chasing bats and the wacky crows. But then, he had to outrun the scurry-scurry spiders. Once again, the viewer tells Baby Fox "corre, corre, salta" and he runs and runs and jumps over a couple more pricker bushes. After that, Baby Fox, Dora, Boots, Diego, and Swiper make it through the forest of prickers and thorns. They say goodbye to Diego and continue on. Dora, Boots, and Swiper were getting close to taking Baby Fox home. They checked the Map one more time to figure out where to go next. They went past the volcano and “ran, and ran, and jumped" through the forest of prickers and thorns. Map places a checkmark by those places. Now just had to go to the Fox Hole. The viewer told Dora, Boots, and Swiper that they need to go to the Fox Hole and they did so. And in no time, Baby Fox was home with his parents. Dora explained to Mama and Papa Fox that Swiper helped out. Baby Fox leaped in to Swiper’s arms and he thought that if Baby Fox was happy, then he was happy too.
Places in this episode
- Forest of Prickers and Thorns
- Fox Hole
- Big Bear's Berry Bush
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Boots' ball
- Baby carrier (correct item for Swiper)
- Rubber duck
- This is the first produced non-double-length episode of the series with a title card.
- The restored version of this episode uses the Nickelodeon Productions Logo from 2009-present on TV. However, the VHS/DVD version still uses the 1999-2005 Nick Jr. Productions Logo.
- This is not only the last non-double-length Dora the Explorer episode (in current airings) featuring Kathleen Herles, Harrison Chad, Sasha Toro, Jake Burbage, and Gabriel Alvarez, but also the last one (current airings) to feature a Character Find at the end, although this is a post-Season 4 episode (current airings).
- Unlike the VHS/DVD version, the restored version of this episode aired on TV has Swiper swiping the word "Dora" from the title card and replacing it with "Swiper", thus the title card reads "Swiper the Explorer" after the theme song.
- This episode premiered on Saturday, January 22, 2005, exactly 4 years after Little Star premiered (in earlier airings)
- This is the first episode in which Swiper reveals his good side as a fox throughout the whole episode.
- The copyright year reads "2003" instead of 2005, 2006 or 2010, meaning this episode was produced in 2003. It took 2, 3, and 7 years for it to premiere.
- Swiper admits to Dora and Boots on the fact that he doesn’t speak Spanish and wishes he does.
- However, he lives on Blueberry Hill and in order to get in, one has to say "abre", which is Spanish for "open". It is possible that "Abre" is the only Spanish word he understands, or if not, either the gate to his home just opens and closes on its own just for him or he would jump over the fence.
- This is the last episode in which the Old Nickelodeon logo doesn't appear at all.
- Boots sits on a log as he tells his favorite part and Dora sits on her knees as she tells her favorite part at the end of the episode but after she asks the viewer what his/her favorite part of the trip was (in his/her opinion), she does not say "I like that too", she instead says "that was a great part".
- Boots and Swiper often speak in unison when talking to Dora.
- A fireworks sound effect is heard when the balls come out of the volcano. It would later be used in "We're a Team!".
- Map, Backpack, Benny and Diego were surprised to see Swiper helping Baby Fox get home.
- This is the second episode in which Backpack asks the viewer(s) to say "Backpack!", first being Boots' Cuddly Dinosaur.
- This episode was an old episode but when Nickelodeon aired this on TV on March 21, 2010, some people thought it was new and old (because it is seen on a VHS tape and DVD first before it aired on TV).
- This is the 82nd episode of the show (120th in current airings).
- Some footage of this episode was included in Jimmy Kimmel's segments of Unnecessary Censorship.
- Map does not zoom wipe in this episode.
- Tico and Isa do not appear in this episode.
- This episode premiered on a Saturday, which means it aired on Nick Jr. on CBS.
- Dora and Boots do not sing the Travel Song in this episode but if they did then it would've been the first episode and Swiper's first time singing it. However, he first sings it in Dora's Dance to the Rescue.
- When Swiper says "Hooray!" during the We Did It! song, the audio is taken from Whose Birthday is It?.
- It is possible that the reason why Swiper wants to help the baby fox is because he, himself, is a fox as well.
- In current airings of this episode, it premiered exactly 5 years after Big Sister Dora premiered.
- Even though this is a Season 5 episode (in current airings), it was produced in Season 4, as it was made in 2003.
- It is unknown how Benny packed a baby bottle in his basket for his picnic. He even mentions that as he pulled it out.
Swiper the Fox
|Dora the Explorer Season 4|
|Dora's Fairytale Adventure | Daisy, La Quinceañera | Star Catcher | La Maestra de Música | The Shy Rainbow | Swiper the Explorer | Star Mountain | Big Sister Dora | Super Babies | Catch the Babies | Dora's Got a Puppy | We're a Team! | Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine | Dora and Diego to the Rescue! | A Crown for King Juan el Bobo | The Mixed-Up Seasons | Best Friends | Dora's Dance to the Rescue | Save Diego! | Dora's First Trip | Baby Jaguar's Roar | Dora's World Adventure! | Boots to the Rescue | Baby Crab | Dora Saves the Mermaids|