Map (sometimes referred after "The") is a main character on Dora the Explorer. He is Dora's helpful guide who lives inside Backpack's side pocket.
Map is a rolled-up map who peeks out from Backpack's pocket whenever he's called. He speaks English and is an incredibly useful friend to Dora because he always knows where to go and how to get there. Whenever Dora checks him for directions, he plots out her journey with a simple graphic that shows a route.
Map has a rather simplistic design and color pallet. He is yellowish-white with a light blue inside. He has blue eyebrows, a red mouth, and two white eyes with black pupils. In seasons 7 and 8, he becomes a computer-generated character, just like Backpack and the Fiesta Trio.
- "Who do we ask for help when we don't know which way to go?"
- "The Map! The Map!"
- "The Map, (that's) right."
- (Season 1 and 2 only:) "The Map can tell us (rest of description).")
- "Will you check the map to find out (rest of description)?"
- (Some Season 1 episodes and rarely 2, 3, and 4:) "I need your help to check the Map and find out (rest of description)."
- "You have to say, 'Map'."
- "Say 'Map'! Say 'Map'!"
- "Louder!" or "I think you have to say it again!" (sometimes added)
- "I think you have to say it louder!" (Dora's Dance to the Rescue)
- (Season 5 onward:) "Louder, Map!"
- (Season 4 only:) "We have to figure out where to go next!"
In most segments
- "(Ooh!) Dora and Boots want/have to (mission)."
- "Well, I know how to (mission)!"
- "Well, I know where (location)!"
- "(To get to (mission)), First you go (first place). Then you go (second place). And that's how you get to (third place) (sometimes added, (to (mission))!
Season 1 and 2
- "So you tell Dora: (places to go)! Say it with me. (places to go) (3x)!"
- "So here's what you tell Dora: (places to go)! Say it with me. (places to go) (3x)!"
Season 3 onward
- "So remember: (places to go)! Say it with me. (places to go) (3x)!"
Season 3 only (when there is star-catching)
- "Ooh, stars!"
- "Try to catch stars along the way!"
- "And don't forget to look for stars along the way!"
Season 4 onward
- "So you tell Dora, first you/we go to (first place)."
Season 4 only (when telling where to go)
- "We made it (first place), check! Where do we go next? (cursor clicks second place) (second place), right! So you tell Dora, next you go to (second place)."
- "We made it (first place), check! You made it (second place), check! Where do we go next? (cursor clicks third place) (third place), right! So you tell Dora, next you go to (third place)."
Season 4 onward (when there are four places)
- "First we go (first place). Then we go (second place). Then we go (third place). And that's how we'll get to (fourth place)!"
- Map appears in three Go, Diego, Go! episodes: Diego's Great Dinosaur Rescue, Diego and Dora Help Baby Monarch Get to the Festival, and Diego and Dora Save the Giant Tortoises
- Map also appears in the spin-off series Dora and Friends: Into the City! as Map App.
- Map is known to have a love of puppies in various episodes, such as Save the Puppies! and Dora's Got a Puppy.
- Map's voice actor, Marc Weiner, also voices Swiper and the Fiesta Trio
- Map is the only main character to retain their original voice actor since the first season in August 2000 to the live-action movie in 2019.
- The only episodes where Map was not asked were Lost Map, Dora's First Trip, Boots to the Rescue, Benny’s Treasure, Pepe the Pig's School Adventure, The Secret of Atlantis, Dora's Moonlight Adventure, and Book Explorers.
- Map, instead of singing, raps on occasion. This is shown in episodes like Dora's Easter Adventure.
- The sound Map uses when he bounces in Season 4 can be found here.
- He tells the viewers to say his own name in Super Map!, but he wanted them to say "(Super) Map!". He does the same in Boots' Cuddly Dinosaur and asks the viewers to say "Map!"
- Starting in Season 5, right before Map springs out of Backpack to start the segment, Dora and/or Boots (and sometimes other characters) would shout "Map!" (with the viewer) after saying "Louder!".
- However, it was technically introduced in Dora Saves the Mermaids.
- In some episodes, Map wears an outfit to relate to the theme.
- He wears a pirate hat and eyepatch in Treasure Island, Dora's Pirate Adventure, and Pirate Treasure Hunt.
- He wears a firefighter hat in Rojo the Fire Truck.
- He wears a cowboy hat in Pinto, the Pony Express and A Ribbon For Pinto.
- He wears a cape in Super Map!.
- He wears a Santa hat in A Present For Santa.
- He wears a medieval hat in ¡Por Favor!.
- He wears a baseball cap in Baseball Boots.
- He wears a scarf and earmuffs in To the South Pole.
- He wears a rocket outfit in Journey to the Purple Planet.
- He wears a ghost costume in Boo!.
- He wears a party hat in The Super Silly Fiesta.
- He wears a nightcap in Louder! and Catch the Babies.
- He wears a spy outfit in Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine.
- He wears a crown in Dora Saves Three Kings Day.
- He wears a blue crayon costume in Halloween Parade.
- Map usually stands on the top left corner of the picture map, but in Save the Puppies!, he stands on the top right.
- In Dora's First Trip, he is absent in the story and Dora and Boots don't "ask him for help, when they don't know which way to go" (because back then, Dora didn’t have him and Backpack).
- Dora and Diego to the Rescue! is the only episode Map frowns while he's repeating the places (because he is worrying about Boots in trouble, as if it was the worst incident that has ever happened.).
- In Seasons 1-2, Map says "So you tell Dora" after reviewing how to get to the final destination. The first time he says that was Hic-Boom-Ohhh! and the last was León, the Circus Lion. In the Season 1 episodes, The Legend of the Big Red Chicken, Lost and Found, Treasure Island, Berry Hunt, and The Chocolate Tree, he says "So here's what you tell Dora". In the season 2 episodes, Whose Birthday is It? and The Lost City, he says "So remember". This was put to permanent use in Season 3 and the rest of the series.
- In the first season, the background around Map's map was brown. Beginning in Season 2, the border changes colors every episode.
- In many episodes, Maps looks slightly different in terms of the face, even if his dancing is recycled from earlier episodes.
- In Lost and Found, the map's upper right corner is not folded.
- In What Happens Next?, the map is styled to resemble a medieval map.
- In Journey to the Purple Planet, the map starts as a normal map, but when Map glides to the other places (because he is a rocket), the blue border disappears and the background remains in space
- In Dora's World Adventure!, Map does not stand on a map; instead he stands near a globe because Dora and Swiper are traveling around the world.
- In Bark, Bark to Play Park, Map is accompanied by his sister during the segment.
- In Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure, Map's segment doesn't occur until late in the episode; also, he accompanied by his older self.
- At the end of his segments, he does a zoom wipe with his mouth, to which people might be thinking that he might be "eating, jumpscaring, or swallowing" them, the screen, or the camera. This happens up until Season 7, where he receives a new design and transitions by sliding across the screen.
- The episodes where he doesn't do a zoom wipe are Dora's Fairytale Adventure, Big Sister Dora, Catch the Babies, Dora and Diego to the Rescue!, Dora's First Trip (there was no Map segment in the episode because in the story, Dora did not have him or Backpack), Dora's World Adventure!, Star Mountain, Baby Crab, Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine, We're a Team! (Map segments only), Save Diego!, Swiper the Explorer, Lost Map (because he was kidnapped and taken to a nest by the Silly Bird), and Benny's Treasure (because he and Backpack are abducted by a garbage truck and taken to the junkyard).
- The only Season 4 episodes Map zoom wipes in are Daisy, La Quinceañera (except for the second segment), Super Babies (except for the second segment), Baby Jaguar's Roar (except for the second segment), The Shy Rainbow (except for the second segment), A Crown for King Juan el Bobo (except for the first segment), Star Catcher, Dora's Dance to the Rescue (first segment only), Dora Saves the Mermaids, Dora's Got a Puppy (second segment only), La Maestra de Música (second segment only), The Mixed-Up Seasons (except for the second and third segments), and We're a Team! (only during The Team Cheer).
- In Super Map!, Map zoom wipes in a different way during his segment; he fills the screen with his red cape instead of his mouth.
- However, his mouth fills the screen when he slides down the slide during the We Did It! song.
- In Big River, Map fills the screen with his mouth closed.
- Rescue Pack did a similar thing when he said "I'm Rescue Pack!" after "Nothing to it!" during his song.
- Map usually has one segment per episode. But sometimes he has more than one.
- In Beaches, The Lost City, Best Friends, and Diego's Great Dinosaur Rescue he had two segments
- In most Season 4 episodes, Map has three segments because Season 4 ditches the picture pop-up sequence and has the format where Map checks off the places that Dora went through, checking off the first location in the second segment and checking off the first and second locations in the third segment.
- In Dora's Fairytale Adventure and The Mixed-Up Seasons, Map has four segments.
To view Map's gallery, click here.
Main Márquez family
|Dora | Diego | Alicia | Mami | Papi | Abuela | Guillermo | Isabella|
|Swiper | Grumpy Old Troll | Bobo Brothers | Alejandro|
|Backpack | Map | Rescue Pack | Click|
|Boots | Tico | Benny | Isa | Big Red Chicken | Señor Tucán | Fiesta Trio | Baby Jaguar|
|Pablo | Alana | Emma | Kate | Naiya | Sammy | Randy|