Map (sometimes referred after "The") is a main character on Dora the Explorer. He is Dora's helpful guide who lives inside Backpack's side pocket.
Map is a rolled-up map who peeks out from Backpack's pocket whenever he's called. He speaks English and is an incredibly useful friend to Dora because he always knows where to go and how to get there. Whenever Dora checks him for directions, he plots out her journey with a simple graphic that shows a route.
Map has a rather simplistic design and color pallet. He is yellowish-white with a light blue inside. He has blue eyebrows, a red mouth, and two white eyes with black pupils. In seasons 7 and 8, he becomes a computer-generated character, just like Backpack and the Fiesta Trio.
- Map appears in three Go, Diego, Go! episodes: Diego's Great Dinosaur Rescue, Diego and Dora Help Baby Monarch Get to the Festival, and Diego and Dora Save the Giant Tortoises
- Map also appears in the spin-off series Dora and Friends: Into the City! as Map App.
- Map is known to have a love of puppies in various episodes, such as Save the Puppies! and Dora's Got a Puppy.
- Map's voice actor, Marc Weiner, also voices Swiper and the Fiesta Trio
- Map is the only main character to retain their original voice actor since the first season in August 2000 to the live-action movie in 2019.
- Map, instead of singing, raps on occasion. This is shown in episodes like Dora's Easter Adventure.
- The sound Map uses when he bounces can be found here.
- He tells the viewers to say his own name in Super Map!, but he wanted them to say "(Super) Map!". He does the same in Boots' Cuddly Dinosaur and asks the viewers to say "Map!"
- Super Map! is the only time where Map zoom wipes in a different way during his segment. He fills the screen with his red cape instead of his mouth.
- However, his mouth fills the screen when he slides down the slide during the We Did It! song.
- Big River is the only time Map fills the screen with his mouth closed.
- In some episodes, such as Treasure Island, Rojo the Fire Truck, Boo!, and Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine, Map wears an outfit to relate to the theme.
- Map usually stands on the top left corner of the picture map, but in Save the Puppies!, he stands on the top right.
- In Dora's First Trip, he is absent in the story and Dora and Boots don't "ask him for help, when they don't know which way to go" (because back then, Dora didn’t have him and Backpack).
- Dora and Diego to the Rescue! is the only episode Map frowns while he's repeating the places (because he is worrying about Boots in trouble).
- In Seasons 1-2, Map says "So you tell Dora" after reviewing how to get to the final destination. The first time he says that was Hic-Boom-Ohhh! and the last was León, the Circus Lion. In the Season 1 episodes, The Legend of the Big Red Chicken, Lost and Found, Treasure Island, Berry Hunt, and The Chocolate Tree, he says "So here's what you tell Dora". In the season 2 episodes, Whose Birthday is It? and The Lost City, he says "So remember". This was set to permanent use in Season 3 and the rest of the series.
To view Map's gallery, click here.
Main Márquez family
|Dora | Diego | Alicia | Mami | Papi | Abuela | Guillermo | Isabella|
|Swiper | Grumpy Old Troll | Bobo Brothers | Alejandro|
|Backpack | Map | Rescue Pack | Click|
|Boots | Tico | Benny | Isa | Big Red Chicken | Señor Tucán | Fiesta Trio | Baby Jaguar|
|Pablo | Alana | Emma | Kate | Naiya | Sammy | Randy|