|Airdate||Tuesday, August 29, 2000|
|Written by|| Eric Weiner|
|Directed by||Arne Wong|
This article is about the episode. If you are looking for the last place, click here.
Grandma's House is the 12th episode of Dora the Explorer from Season 1.
Dora and Boots must bring a basket of treats to her grandmother's house, but they have to watch out for Swiper, who is determined to swipe the basket.
Dora & Boots go to her grandmother's house who’s sick in bed with a cold. So, they take a basket full of goodies and treats to make her feel better. Dora & Boots have to find the quickest way to get to her grandma's house. So, Dora & Boots check Map for help. He says that they have to go across a bumpy bridge, across turtle river to get to Grandma's house. They have to be on the lookout for Swiper the fox and other obstacles too. As Dora and Boots set a foot on the bumpy bridge, they drop the basket on their way. But they get a fishing pole from Backpack to reel the basket back up. Soon after, Dora & Boots had to duck down low as Swiper swings on a vine trying to swipe the basket but ends up missing and falls head first into a tree. After that, the basket gets heavy. So, they rest the basket on a rock where it was really a turtle shell. They look for the basket which was on the turtle's back which led them to a turtle river. Dora & Boots take turns getting across Turtle River by jumping on 5 turtles. They counted up to 5 in Spanish. After getting across Turtle River, Swiper (Using the same tree he swung into in his last attempt as a disguise) follows Dora & Boots and Swiper thought he was just a tree and acted out a little bit from the Little Red Riding Hood story having Dora & Boots as Little Red Riding Hood and Swiper as the Big Bad Wolf. Dora & Boots stop Swiper and make it to her grandma's house. They both went in and gave her the basket of goodies and treats and there was also a drawing of a picture of Boots & Dora. In no time, Dora's grandma was all better.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Party hat
- Fishing pole (correct item)
- It is revealed that Dora's last name is Márquez. Boots addressed Mami as "Señora Márquez" which proves that it is her last name.
- Tico, Benny and Isa don't appear in this episode.
- This is the only episode where Map zooms in and out of the screen 3 times.
- This is the first appearance of Mami and Abuela.
- This episode also introduces what Dora's home looks like and what her Grandma's home looks like.
- A shortened version of the Travel Song was heard on this episode.
- This episode is a retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytale, "Little Red Riding Hood".
- Dora plays out the role of Little Red Riding Hood.
- Boots plays out the role of Little Red Riding Hood's brother.
- Mami plays out the role of Little Red Riding Hood and her brother’s mother.
- Swiper plays out the role of the Big Bad Wolf.
- Abuela plays out the role of Little Red Riding Hood and her brother’s grandma.
- This is the 12th episode of the show.
- This is the technically the first episode Swiper somehow plays a major role due to him wanting to swipe the basket of treats for Abuela.
- Swiper tries to swipe three times in this episode, as well as Dora and Boots stop him 3 times.
- Dora and Boots sing the Travel Song the second time but they do not say the places they’re going, they instead skip that part and just ask the question "where are we going".
- After Dora and Boots finish the Travel Song the first time, they spin around but they do not jump and yell out the last place they're going, they instead just run and yell out the last place.
- Dora and Boots don't say Swiper No Swiping! 3 times the second time, they instead duck their heads for Swiper to not swing into them or to swipe their basket at the woods.
- When Dora wonders about Swiper in the tree and asking the viewer if they think it's just a tree which is not, she squints which almost looks like she's making a weird look.
- Three Little Piggies, Big River, Berry Hunt, Wizzle Wishes and this episode are the 5 consecutive episodes Dora and Boots successfully stop Swiper and has never even swiped from them once.
- When Dora and Boots are on their way to Turtle River, Swiper tries to swipe the basket, he fails and then he falls into the tree, Swiper uses the same tree to disguise himself so he can sneak up on Dora and Boots.
- This is the last episode for the end credits to have the Comic Sans MS font style. A new font style will debut in the next episode.
- The Comic Sans MS font will return in the episode First Day of School and all other episodes from seasons 5-8 with a whole new credits style featuring clips from older episodes in four clouds on each corner.
- This is the last episode where Boots is 4 years old, as he celebrates his birthday in the next episode.
- It is unknown how Backpack can carry a giant fishing pole.
Tico the Squirrel
|Dora the Explorer Season 1|
|The Legend of the Big Red Chicken | Lost and Found | Hic-Boom-Ohhh! | Beaches | We All Scream for Ice Cream | Choo-Choo! | Treasure Island | Three Little Piggies | Big River | Berry Hunt | Wizzle Wishes | Grandma's House | Surprise! | Sticky Tape | Bouncing Ball | Backpack! | Fish Out of Water | Bugga Bugga | Little Star | Dora Saves the Prince | El Coquí | The Chocolate Tree | Te Amo | Pablo's Flute | To The Treehouse | Call Me Mr. Riddles|