|Airdate||Wednesday, May 2, 2001 (Nick Jr.)|
Tuesday, February 5, 2002 (VHS)
|Previous||Dora Saves the Prince|
|Next||The Chocolate Tree|
- Fiesta Trio
- Echo Bush (debut)
- Señor Tucán
- Coquí (debut)
- Coquí's Friends and Family (debut)
Dora and Boots must help a little coquí frog, who is lost and can't sing unless he's at his home.
Dora and Boots were reading a book about animals and what sounds they make. The top red button played the sound of a cow mooing. The middle purple button played the sound of a rooster crowing. When the bottom green button was pressed it went "Coquí, Coquí!". A Coquí is a special kind of Puerto Rican frog that sings. Dora and Boots were taken by surprise when an actual Coquí frog hopped on their heads and hopped onto solid ground. It even had a guitar around his neck. The Coquí tried to sing a song to Dora and Boots, but his voice was too raspy to sing. Boots blinked his eyes twice and told Dora that he can't sing. Dora explained that according to the book, Coquí lives on a beautiful island. If he leaves the island and is away from his family and friends, he gets sick and he can't sing. She then asks Coquí if that is true. He nods yes and starts to cry. Dora then picks him up and hugs him. He feels better now.
So, Dora and Boots decided to take Coquí home to his own island. They don't know how to get there, so they ask the Map for assistance. He says that they had to go through echo bush and across the ocean to get to Coquí's Island. So they got going. En route to the Echo Bush, they had to watch out for Swiper the fox. Dora though he would try to swipe Coqui's guitarra. Dora, Boots and Coquí did so and said "Swiper no swiping" 3 times and Swiper ran away. After Dora said "Vamonos", a voice said "vamonos" too. Dora, Boots and Coquí were at the echo bush. Each time Dora and Boots say out something, the echo bush repeats what they said. Dora, Boots and Coquí got through the echo bush by saying "ahhh" so that the echo bush would open its mouth wide so they can go through. Dora, Boots and Coquí continue down the path and approach the ocean. Now, they had to figure out how to get across the ocean. There was fog out there making it hard to see anything but as the fog cleared away, they saw a red ship. Señor Tucán was driving it and was glad to take Dora, Boots and Coquí to Coquí's Island but they must get tickets to ride the ship. There was a ticket machine that said "una moneda por favor" twice which meant "one coin please" in Spanish.
The problem is that Boots doesn't have any coins. Luckily, Dora has some coins in her backpack. The kind of coins that Dora, Boots and Coquí need are colored red and have 5 dots on them. Dora gets out those coins and inserts them one after another. Then she pulled on the lever and out came 3 tickets with a picture of a boat on it, one for Dora, one for Boots, and one for Coquí. Señor Tucán calls out "¡Todos abordo, apurense!" Which means "All aboard, hurry up!" and Dora, Boots and Coquí hurried onto the ship. After getting on, the fog returned and it was hard to see right through it. Boots hopes that they don't bump into any ships. Suddenly, Coquí opens his eyes wide and points to something coming their way. Dora, Boots and Coquí saw a big purple ship and it was coming towards them. Dora, Boots and Coquí have to tell the ship to watch out, or else it will bump into them! Dora tries waving her arms back and forth and yelling as loud as she could "cuidado, cuidado" meaning "watch out, watch out" but the ship was still coming towards them because Dora wasn’t loud enough. She needs help from the viewer. Together, Dora, Boots, Coquí, Señor Tucán, and the viewer joined in to warn the big purple ship. They put their arms out and waved them back and forth and then yell "cuidado" as loud as they could, a couple of times. Sure enough, the ship honks its horn and changes direction to avoid bumping.
Dora, Boots and Coquí made it across the ocean. They were getting close to taking Coquí home to his own island. They were almost at Coquí's Island, but the boat couldn't get close enough to the island because there were a lot of rocks in the water. Coquí had an idea, he decided to jump across the rocks. So, Dora and Boots got off the boat and started jumping across the rocks and in no time Coquí was home thanks to Dora, Boots and the viewer. Now that Coquí was home, his voice was back to normal and he started singing, "Coquí, Coquí, Coquí-quí-quí-quí-quí!". Coquí dances as he sings too. Later, Coquí's family and friends sang along with Coquí. And then Dora and Boots decided to joined in. They also invite the viewer to sing along too. "Coquí, Coquí, Coquí-quí-quí-quí-quí!" they all sang. After Coquí finishes singing the song, he gives Dora and Boots a kiss and lifted Coquí into his tree with his friends.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top left)
- Red coins with three dots
- Red coins with five dots (correct items)
- Green coins with two dots
- Green coins with three dots
- Blue coins with two dots
- Blue coins with four dots
- This episode is based on a Puerto Rican folktale about the legendary singing creature.
- When Dora tells the viewer to help her stop Swiper, the background is taken from Three Little Piggies.
- Isa, Benny, and Tico don't appear in this episode.
- This is the 21st episode of the show.
- This is the second and last episode to find Isa.
- The Fiesta Trio played their original fanfare three times in this episode.
- When Dora and Boots ride on Señor Tucán's ship, they do not wear lifejackets (so they can be safe), due to it being large and not needed to be rowed. In real life, even babies do not need lifejackets for a boat like that.
- "Coquí" sounds very similar and a lot like the word "cookie".
- Dora does not say "We had such an exciting trip today!", she instead says "We had such an exciting adventure today". She says that again in Star Mountain.
- This is the 1st English speaking episode with a Spanish title. The episode's title in English is "The Coquí".
- When Dora checks and uses Backpack, there was nothing but red, blue and green coins.
- After checking Map on how to get to Coquí's Island, Dora's animal book disappeared for some reason. She was not seen putting it in her Backpack, so it is unknown what happened to it. It is possible that she put the book in her Backpack offscreen or as she was checking Map. If she did, it would be unknown how it is not one of the items in Backpack.
- Unlike all other episodes, when Dora and Boots ask the viewer where the Ocean is, they don't look at the viewer, they instead look at Coquí.
- When Dora checks Backpack, there was only one coin that is red with five dots, but when she gets them out, there were three.
- iTunes lists this episode as "El Coqui". There is no accent mark on the I.
Isa the Iguana
|Dora the Explorer Season 1|
|The Legend of the Big Red Chicken | Lost and Found | Hic-Boom-Ohhh! | Beaches | We All Scream for Ice Cream | Choo-Choo! | Treasure Island | Three Little Piggies | Big River | Berry Hunt | Wizzle Wishes | Grandma's House | Surprise! | Sticky Tape | Bouncing Ball | Backpack! | Fish Out of Water | Bugga Bugga | Little Star | Dora Saves the Prince | El Coquí | The Chocolate Tree | Te Amo | Pablo's Flute | To The Treehouse | Call Me Mr. Riddles|