|Airdate||Wednesday, May 2, 2001 (Nick Jr.)|
Tuesday, February 5, 2002 (VHS)
|Previous||Dora Saves the Prince|
|Next||The Chocolate Tree|
- Fiesta Trio
- Echo Bush (debut)
- Señor Tucán
- Coquí (debut)
- Coquí's Friends and Family (debut)
Dora and Boots must help a little coquí frog, who is lost and cannot sing until he's at his home.
Dora & Boots were reading a book about animals and what sounds they make. The top red button played the sound of a cow mooing. The middle purple button played the sound of a rooster crowing. When the bottom green button was pressed it went "Coquí, Coquí!". A Coquí is a special kind of Puerto Rican frog that sings. Dora & Boots were taken by surprise when an actual Coquí frog hopped on their heads and hopped onto solid ground. It even had a guitar around his neck. The Coquí tried to sing a song to Dora & Boots, but his voice was too raspy to sing. Boots blinked his eyes twice and told Dora that he can't sing. Dora explained that according to the book, Coquí lives on a beautiful island. If he leaves the island and is away from his family and friends, he gets sick and he can't sing.
So, Dora & Boots decided to take Coquí home to his own island. They don't know how to get there, so they ask the Map for assistance. He says that they had to go through an echo bush, across the ocean to get to Coquí's Island. So they got going. En route to the Echo Bush, they had to watch out for Swiper the fox. Dora, Boots & Coquí did so and said "Swiper no swiping" 3 times and Swiper ran away. After Dora said "Vamonos", a voice said "vamonos" too. Dora, Boots & Coquí were at the echo bush. Every time Dora & Boots say out something, the echo bush repeats what they said. Dora, Boots and Coquí got through the echo bush by saying "ahhh" so that the echo bush would open its mouth wide so they can go through. Dora, Boots & Coquí continue down the path and approach the ocean. Now, they had to figure out how to get across the ocean. There was fog out there making it hard to see anything but as the fog cleared away, they saw a red boat. Señor Tucán was driving the boat and was glad to take Dora, Boots & Coquí to Coquí's Island but they must get tickets to ride the boat. There was a ticket machine that said "una moneda por favor" twice which meant "one coin please" in Spanish.
The problem is that Boots doesn't have any coins. Sure enough, Dora has some coins in her backpack. The kind of coins that Dora, Boots and Coquí need are colored red and have 5 dots on them. Dora gets out those coins and inserts them one after another. Then she pulled on the lever and out came 3 tickets with a picture of a boat on it, one for Dora, one for Boots, and one for Coquí. Señor Tucán calls out "Todos abordo, apurense" Which means "All aboard, now hurry" and Dora, Boots and Coquí hurried onto the boat. After getting on the boat, the fog came back and it was hard to see right through it. Boots hopes that they don't bump into any boats. Suddenly, Coquí opens his eyes wide and points to something in the ocean. Dora and Boots and Coquí saw a big purple ship and it was coming towards them. Dora and Boots and Coquí have to tell the ship to watch out, or it'll bump into them! Dora tries waving her arms back & forth and saying "cuidado, cuidado" meaning "watch out, watch out" but the ship was still coming towards them. Dora needs help from the viewer. Together, Dora, Boots, Coquí, Señor Tucán, and the viewer joined in to warn the big purple ship. They put their arms out and waved them back and forth and then said "cuidado" a couple of times.
Then the ship honks its horn and changes direction to avoid bumping. Dora, Boots & Coquí made it across the ocean. They were getting close to taking Coquí home to his own island. They were almost at Coquí's Island, but the boat couldn't get close enough to the island because there were a lot of rocks in the water. Coquí had an idea, he decided to jump across the rocks. So, Dora & Boots got off the boat and started jumping across the rocks and in no time Coquí was home thanks to Dora & Boots. Now that Coquí was home, his voice was back to normal and he started singing. The song went "Coquí, Coquí, Coquí-quí-quí-quí-quí!". Coquí dances as he sings too. Later, Coquí's family and friends sang along with Coquí. And then Dora & Boots decided to joined in. They also invite the viewer to sing along too. "Coquí, Coquí, Coquí-quí-quí-quí-quí!" they all sang. After Coquí finishes singing the song, he gives Dora & Boots a kiss and lifted Coquí into his tree with his friends.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top left)
- Red coins with three dots
- Red coins with five dots (correct items)
- Green coins with two dots
- Green coins with three dots
- Blue coins with two dots
- Blue coins with four dots
- This episode is based on a Puerto Rican folktale about the legendary singing creature.
- When Dora tells the viewer to help her stop Swiper, the background is taken from Three Little Piggies.
- Isa, Benny, and Tico don't appear in this episode.
- This is the 21st episode of the show.
- This is the second and last episode to find Isa.
- The Fiesta Trio played their original fanfare three times in this episode.
- When Dora and Boots ride on Señor Tucán's ship, they do not wear lifejackets (so they can be safe), due to it being large and not needed to be rowed. In real life, even babies do not need lifejackets for a boat like that.
- Coquí sounds very similar and a lot like the word "cookie".
- Dora does not say "We had such an exciting trip today!", she instead says "We had such an exciting adventure today". She says that again in Star Mountain.
- This is the 1st English speaking episode with a Spanish title. The episode title means "The Coquí" in Spanish.
- When Dora checks and uses Backpack, there was nothing but red, blue and green coins.
- Unlike other episodes, when Dora and Boots ask the viewer where the Ocean is, they don’t look at the viewer, they instead look at Coquí.
- When Dora checks Backpack, there was only one coin that is red with five dots, but when she gets them out, there were three.
- iTunes lists this episode as "El Coqui". There is no accent mark on the I.
Isa the Iguana
|Dora the Explorer Season 1|
|The Legend of the Big Red Chicken | Lost and Found | Hic-Boom-Ohhh! | Beaches | We All Scream for Ice Cream | Choo-Choo! | Treasure Island | Three Little Piggies | Big River | Berry Hunt | Wizzle Wishes | Grandma's House | Surprise! | Sticky Tape | Bouncing Ball | Backpack! | Fish Out of Water | Bugga Bugga | Little Star | Dora Saves the Prince | El Coquí | The Chocolate Tree | Te Amo | Pablo's Flute | To The Treehouse | Call Me Mr. Riddles|