|Dora's Fairytale Adventure|
|Airdate||Friday, September 24, 2004 (Nick Jr.)|
Tuesday, October 5, 2004 (VHS and DVD)
|Written by|| Eric Weiner|
|Directed by|| George Chialtas|
|Next||Daisy, La Quinceañera|
- Fiesta Trio
- King Lion (debut)
- Queen Lioness (debut)
- Prince of Fairytale Land (debut)
- Witch (Fairytale Land) (debut)
- Silly Broomstick (debut)
- Wand (debut)
- Fairytale Land Gate (debut)
- Ivy Vine Wall (debut)
- Seven Dwarves (debut)
- Fairy Star (debut)
- Three Little Piggies
Dora and Boots step through a magical gate into Fairytale Land where they discover classic fairytale characters, sweets, and the mean Witch! When Boots eats a magic banana, he slumbers into a spell that can only be broken by a hug from a true princess. However, there are no true princesses in Fairytale Land and time is limited. Dora vows to become a true princess and embarks upon a challenging journey that begins with a search for a red ring hidden in the dragon's cave. Next, she strives to get past a giant in order to teach the rocks to sing and then to defeat marching snowmen, rolling snowballs, and threatening storm clouds to turn winter into spring. Finally, Dora must somehow deliver the moon to King Lion and Queen Lioness.
Dora and Boots were playing in the forest when they hear a fanfare sound. They follow it and found out it's coming from a gate to Fairytale Land. Dora invites the viewer to come with them. The gate explains to enter Fairytale Land, they must say "Once Upon a Time". Dora, Boots and the viewer do so, and the gate opens. They find lollipops, the Three Little Pigs, the Gingerbread Man, and many other fairytales as they sing the Fairytale Land song.
At the end of the song, Dora and Boots rest under a tree with the Seven Dwarfs. Boots gets offered an enchanted banana by the tree and when he eats it, he suddenly falls asleep. The Seven Dwarfs explain he's turned into Sleeping Boots and is under a sleeping spell by the witch. The tree transforms into the witch, who explains she put a spell on Boots and says that Dora will never find out what the way to wake him up is. She then gets on her silly broomstick and flies off, but her broomstick however ends up accidentally going through lots of trees. The witch keeps telling him “Cuidado”, which means “Be Careful” in Spanish, but the broomstick is too clumsy that he keeps going through the trees.
Dora tries to convince Boots to wake up and even tries to tickles him, but failed. Luckily, the dwarfs know how Dora can break the spell. Sleeping Boots must get a hug from a true princess. The problem is, there aren't any true princesses in all of Fairytale Land, and many have tried to pass the tests to become one, but it’s very hard. One of the dwarfs suggested to Dora that she can become a true princess and save Sleeping Boots. Dora and the other dwarves agree. Map and Backpack agreed too. There are four tests: First, Dora must find the red ring. Second, she must teach the giant rocks to sing. Third, she has to turn winter into spring. Finally, she must bring the moon to the Queen and King.
Dora hears a voice calling her shortly before she goes off. It was the Ivy Vine Wall, who tells her that her rainbow leaves are falling off. Dora has to hurry because if she does not become a true princess and wake up Sleeping Boots before the last leaf falls, Sleeping Boots will be asleep forever!
Dora does not know where to go to pass all the tests, so she asks Map for assistance. Map tells the viewer that in order for Dora become a true princess, they have to go to the Dragon’s Cave to find the red ring, to the Giant Rocks to teach them to sing, to Winter Valley to turn winter into spring, and finally to the castle to bring the moon to the King and Queen. Dora then proceeds to go to the Dragon's cave for her first test. She comes upon a hungry dragon, who is the guard of the cave. With help from the viewer, Dora tiptoes past the dragon and goes inside. She steps on a twig and stops. She continues to tiptoe and in no time, made it to the Dragon's cave. She finds the red ring in a fish tank, but this causes the dragon to come towards her. The ring tells Dora that he has to get on her finger, but she has to point her finger first. Dora does so, and the entire inside of the Dragon's Cave turns into a palace and the dragon turns into a prince. The prince explains to Dora that he was turned into a dragon to guard the red ring for many years, and she saved her. As a reward, he gives her a magic music box. It will help Dora become a true princess. When the box is wound up, it plays music so beautiful, it can make anything sing. Dora started to wind the box up, but the Prince warns her that she can only play it once, so she cannot play it unless she needs it. Dora kept her promise and she and the prince shook hands. The prince tells Dora “Buena suerte” which means "Good luck" in Spanish as the two waved goodbye. The witch is seen hiding in a tree and sees that Dora found the red ring. She reminds herself that she‘ll have to work harder to prevent Dora from becoming a true princess. Her wand remarks that Dora’s really good while the broomstick remarks that she is one smart girl, but not after the witch tells them “Silencio! Be Quiet!”. The witch then gets on her silly broomstick again and flies off. She first ends up upside-down in the process and then goes down. "Cuidado, cuidado, CUIDADO-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!", the witch yelled, and just like earlier, her broomstick goes through a tree but got out. "Sorry boss!" says her silly broomstick.
The Fiesta Trio congratulates Dora for passing the first test. She now has 3 more tests left to go. Now she has to check Map to figure out where to go next. Map places a check-mark on the Dragon’s Cave (now the Prince’s Palace). The path traces to the Giant Rocks. Before Map tells the viewer to tell Dora that next they have to go to the Giant Rocks, he warns the viewer that the Giant Rocks are guarded by the giant-giant.
Dora's 2nd test is to teach the giant rocks to sing. When she got to the Giant Rocks, she remarks that those rocks really are giant. Suddenly, the ground starts to shake which causes Dora herself to shake, and as expected, Dora hears the giant-giant. "Fee-fi-fo-fum, fumpty-dumpy-dumpy-dum!" he went. He was grumpy as he showed Dora a photo of his puppy that he could not find. Dora hops on his hand as he tells that his puppy goes "Woof woof." She plays a listening game to find the puppy. There are three locations that the viewer needs to listen. The correct location was in the center behind the gingerbread house. Dora was off his hand when the puppy came up to him. Now, she had to teach the giant rocks to sing. Dora had an idea and gets out the magic music box. Dora tries to wind the handle but stuck. She had help from the viewer by winding the handle together. After that, the lid opened and music starts playing. As the music continues to play, faces appeared on the giant rocks and they started singing. The witch is seen again hiding behind a bush and sees that both Dora and the giant-giant have taught the rocks to sing. Her silly wand and broomstick are cheering at them, but not long before the witch tells them “Silencio!” which means "Be quiet!" in Spanish. Once again, the witch then gets on her silly broomstick and flies off, and she starts to feel dizzy in the process. After Dora passed her 2nd test, she was rewarded with a bag of sunshine and had to stand on giant-giant’s hand to get it. The giant-giant warned Dora to be very careful with the bag of sunshine because if she opened the bag, the sunshine will escape. So, Dora kept her promise and puts the bag of sunshine in Backpack for safekeeping until she needs it. Dora then hugged the giant-giant and waved goodbye to him.
The Fiesta Trio congratulates Dora for passing the second test and now she has 2 tests left. She checks Map again to figure out where to go next. Map places a check-mark on the Prince’s Palace (formerly the Dragon's Cave) and Giant Rocks. The path traces to Winter Valley. Map tells the viewer to tell Dora that next they have to go to Winter Valley.
Dora's 3rd test is to turn winter into spring. She got cold when she got to Winter Valley. The witch remarks that Dora will never be able to turn winter into spring as she decided to make it even colder by having snowmen, snowballs and storm clouds come by. When Dora saw the snowmen, snowballs and storm clouds, she got even colder. But Dora remembered about the bag of sunshine that she put in her Backpack. Dora gets the sunshine out of the bag. Now, it was time to make things hot. They had to sing "Caliente". As the singing continued, the snow melted everywhere by the trees, the hills and by the river. The witch got angry and walked away. Dora was proud to turn Winter Valley into Spring Valley. The animals came up to Dora and gave her a present. Dora saw a magic hairbrush inside the present. It can make her hair really long. The animals warned Dora to be careful because the magic works only once and told her not to use the magic hairbrush until she needs it. Dora kept her promise to be careful and waved goodbye to the animals.
The Fiesta Trio congratulates Dora for passing the third test. She only has one test left. Dora checks Map one more time to figure out where to go next. So far, she found the red ring at the Dragon's Cave (now the Prince’s Palace), taught the Giant Rocks to sing, and turned winter into spring at Winter Valley (now Spring Valley). Map places a checkmark on those places. The path traces to the castle of the king and queen. Map tells the viewer to tell Dora that next they have to go to the castle of the king and queen.
So far, Dora found the red ring, taught the giant rocks to sing and turned winter into spring. The 4th and final test that Dora has to do now bring the moon to the Queen and King. They were at the castle. Dora enters the castle and then she had to go up a long spiral staircase. The Queen and King were proud of Dora to have come so far. She has passed many tests but this test was the hardest of all. Dora has to bring the moon to the Queen and King. The witch is seen hiding behind the castle and she has an evil feeling that Dora is going to give up. Dora is going to prove her wrong. The witch was in shock and her wand remarks that Dora is really something. Dora then had a plan. She was going to call on Isa the Iguana, Tico the Squirrel and Benny the Bull. They all came riding on horses. Isa, Tico, and Benny entered the castle but when they got there, the witch made the long spiral staircase disappear and she tells them that now there’s no way they can climb up and help Dora. They had to figure out how to get up the tower without using the long spiral staircase. Dora remembered about the magic hairbrush and how she can use it to make her hair really long, which would provide a detour for her friends to still climb up to the top of the castle. She grabs the magic hairbrush and starts brushing her hair really, really long. The hair stretched all the way down. Benny, Isa, and Tico then used Dora's really long hair as a detour to climb up to the top of the castle. After that, they got a group hug and as the magic wore off, Dora‘s hair was shorter again, but still longer than usual. Now, that Benny, Isa, and Tico are up to the tower, they can help Dora pass her 4th and final test by bringing the moon to the Queen and King. Suddenly, they saw stars in the sky. Dora, Benny, Isa, and Tico each took a turn catching a star in their special way. Tico catches a star by climbing up a pole and catching it. Isa catches a star using her tail. Benny uses his strength by pushing heavy barrels and then catching the star. Dora super jumped up high to catch a star. After a star is caught, it creates a staircase. Four stars were caught and the staircase was not high enough. They needed one more star. All of a sudden, another star appeared and it was an explorer star. It was Fairy Star. The viewer caught Fairy Star and she went up to the top of the night sky to the moon. Dora climbs up the staircase the stars made so she can climb up to the moon. Dora asked the moon to come down and see a Queen and King. The moon accepted the request and came down with Dora. The witch comes back and was surprised. She wondered how did Dora's friends get up the tower, she took away the steps. The witch also wondered where Dora was. Dora came down and hopped off the moon. The Fiesta Trio congratulates Dora for passing her 4th and final test. The witch then reviewed what Dora and the viewer did. They found the red ring, taught the giant rocks to sing, turned winter into spring, and brought the moon to the Queen and King. Dora broke the witch's spell and all of the Witch's powers are gone! The Queen told Dora that she was flying far far far away and will never be seen again.
Dora kneeled down and the King turned her into a true princess. She now wears a floor-length princess gown. The gown is golden with a pinkish-white petticoat underneath. It has a V neckline. The sleeves are long and straight and puff up at the shoulders. There are small pink stripes on the cuffs of the sleeves. The skirt is flowy and has pink and purple stripes on the hem. Her shoes are golden with pink flowers on them. Her hair is long and curly and hangs down along her back from a long golden headdress with a pink flower. Dora has transformed into La Princesa Dora. But Dora had to hurry. She has to wake up Sleeping Boots. She has to hug him before the last leaf falls, or else Boots will fall asleep forever! The King quickly calls in the unicorns. The unicorns came with a carriage for La Princesa Dora to ride on. To take off, she had to say "Vuelen" which is the Spanish word for "Fly". La Princesa Dora took off with the flying unicorns. Benny, Isa, Tico, the Queen, and King wished her good luck. As La Princesa Dora was on her way back to try and wake up Sleeping Boots, she had to fly over Spring Valley (formerly Winter Valley), the Giant Rocks, and the Prince's Palace (formerly the Dragon's Cave). After she got over all the places, the unicorns and carriage land on the grass and La Princesa Dora scurries off the carriage and hurries over to Sleeping Boots. She had to hug Sleeping Boots as tight as she could with some help from the viewer. But as soon as the last leaf touched the grass, Sleeping Boots woke up and is not sleeping anymore. He stretches his arms and opens his mouth wide and yawns. Boots told Dora that he had an amazing dream. He dreamed that Dora was a true princess with really long hair and his dream came true. And so, Sleeping Boots fell into a deep sleep but awoke at last. The ivy leaves are back on the wall and since the Witch was never seen again. Now everyone in Fairytale Land lived happily ever after, thanks to Dora for becoming a true princess and woke up Sleeping Boots in the nick of time.
Places in episode
- Dragon's Cave
- Giant Rocks
- Winter/Spring Valley
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Black sock (Black bag)
- Yellow sunshine (Yellow bag; correct item)
- White toothbrush (White bag)
- Blue swimsuit (Blue bag)
- Green sunglasses (Green bag)
- Purple hair-comb (Purple bag)
- This episode marks the debut of King Lion, Queen Lioness, Silly Broomstick, Wand the Prince of Fairytale Land (only appearance), the Witch (main antagonist), the Fairytale Land Gate, the Ivy Vine Wall, and the Seven Dwarves.
- All of these characters (except for the Prince of Fairytale Land) would all later appear in the sequel to this episode, "Dora Saves Fairytale Land".
- In the sequel however, Wand alone is no longer anthropomorphic.
- All of these characters (except for the Prince of Fairytale Land) would all later appear in the sequel to this episode, "Dora Saves Fairytale Land".
- This is one of the few times prior to Season 5 where Boots speaks Spanish.
- This episode aired on Nick Jr. and then was released on VHS and DVD 11 days later. Additionally, this episode premiered just 17 days after the book was adapted.
- This is the last double-length episode to use the 1999-2005 Nick Jr Productions logo's visual but it's not the last episode to use its music.
- This is the first double-length episode to have 4 places instead of 3.
- This is also the first and only episode in which Map does not ask the viewer to repeat the places to go with him. Instead, he skips that part and tells the viewer to tell Dora what the first challenge is and the first place to go (Dragon's Cave) immediately after showing the route.
- This episode premiered the same day as Pilot episode.
- This is the first double-length episode where the Fiesta Trio play their regular fanfare 4 times.
- Each time after the Fiesta Trio play their fanfare, they make an announcement to congratulate Dora.
- This is the 13th episode in which Dora returns to where she has started after reaching the last place on the map, something that also occurred in "Three Little Piggies", "Berry Hunt", "The Chocolate Tree", "El Día De Las Madres", "Click!", "A Present for Santa", "School Pet", "Save the Puppies!", "What Happens Next?", "Journey to the Purple Planet", "Dora's Pirate Adventure", and "Boots' Cuddly Dinosaur".
- Swiper does not appear in this episode, but he will make his appearance and visit Fairytale Land in the sequel to this episode titled "Dora Saves Fairytale Land". Also, the Witch replaces him as the antagonist.
- This is the first episode for Season 4.
- This is the second and last double-length episode featuring the Explorer Stars.
- Aside from “Lost Map” where Dora checks the replacement map after each location, this is the first episode in which Dora does not use the picture pop-up sequence of the places to go and instead checks in on Map each time she passes a place, and he tracks her progress by placing a red checkmark for every place Dora has passed.
- This is the first episode where Boots cannot go with Dora because he is under a sleeping spell.
- Dora tries to wake up Sleeping Boots by tickling his foot but fails because of the spell.
- When Boots is sleeping throughout the whole episode and called Sleeping Boots, he is technically similar to Sleeping Beauty. The name sounds a lot similar, too.
- This episode reveals that the Giant-Giant is in fact real. He previously made his first appearance in the episode "What Happens Next?", but he only made that appearance inside Dora and Boots' minds rather than in real life.
- This is also the Giant-Giant's first and only appearance within a double-length episode.
- Under the spell, Boots sleeps on a pink cloud and wears his red pajamas.
- It is unknown how Benny, Tico, and Isa got to Fairytale Land.
- Dora does not sing the Travel Song in this episode alone without Boots. She would not have had the time to sing it anyway because she has a little time to become a true princess and save Sleeping Boots, besides, the Travel Song is meant for both of them singing when they're traveling with each other but never one of them alone, she sings other songs along the way, like Boingy Bing and Caliente.
- When Dora brushes her hair really long with the magic brush and Isa, Benny and Tico climb up her hair, she is like Rapunzel. Not only that, but the producers kind of also made her look like Kathleen Herles (Dora's voice actress from Seasons 1-4).
- For reasons never explained, even though the star pocket was visible and star-catching was involved in this episode, Dora doesn't put the stars in the star pocket in this episode. The stars instead just flew away and never came back.
- The Ivy Vine Wall does not give a reason to hurry before the last rainbow leaf falls, but it is confirmed that if the last leaf fell before he gets a hug from a true princess, Sleeping Boots would be asleep forever.
- However, Boots wakes up just as the last leaf touches the ground while la Princesa Dora is hugging him.
- Dora's ears are seen when she is wearing her princess outfit.
- This is the first and only double-length episode to use the standard version of the We Did It song.
- This is the double-length episode of the series with the least number of songs at four, including "We Did It" but excluding the theme song, "I'm the Map", and "Backpack, Backpack".
- After Dora asks the viewer what their favorite part of the trip is, she says, "That was a very good part" instead of her usual line, "I like that, too."
- The Blue Cursor does not click on Dora after singing We Did It, it instead clicks on the magical gate as it closes and finishes the story of how it ends.
- Dora does not turn back into her normal self until the beginning of Fairy Star's minigame during the end credits when she is asking her to turn her back into a princess.
- The storybook adaption of this episode has some noticeable differences when compared to the actual episode.
- Wand is colored light violet in the episode and golden yellow in the storybook adaption. Similarily, the Prince as a dragon is colored lime green in the episode and magenta in the storybook adaption.
- Silly Broomstick, Fairy Star, and the Giant-Giant are togetherly withdrawn from the storybook adaption.
- King Lion is seen without his glasses and also with an all red royal jacket in the storybook adaption.
- Queen Lioness is seen with an all red cape in the storybook adaption. Additionally, the center of her dress is pink in the episode and purple in the storybook adaption.
- The very top of the castle is indoors in the storybook adaption.
- All of the Dwarves have a completely different design in the storybook adaption.
- Aside from Fairy Star not appearing in the storybook adaption, the neutral stars were each in a different color in the episode; whereas in the storybook adaption, all the stars were colored in a light shade of yellow. Additionally, there were eight neutral stars featured in the the storybook adaption, but only four seen in the episode.
- The storybook adaption never mentions the Witch losing her powers, but still mentions that she flew far away and would never be seen again.
- Backpack disappears for no reason just as Dora turns into a true princess.
- On iTunes, this episode is listed as "Fairy-Tale Adventure", without "Dora" in the title and there is a dash between "Fairy" and "Tale".
Older Episode Reference
- When Silly Broomstick and Wand cheer for Dora, the Witch shushes them by saying "¡Silencio! Be quiet!", which is exactly what Señor Shush says in Dora, La Música.
|Dora the Explorer Season 4|
|Dora's Fairytale Adventure | Daisy, La Quinceañera | Star Catcher | La Maestra de Música | The Shy Rainbow | Swiper the Explorer | Star Mountain | Big Sister Dora | Super Babies | Catch the Babies | Dora's Got a Puppy | We're a Team! | Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine | Dora & Diego to the Rescue | A Crown for King Juan el Bobo | The Mixed-Up Seasons | Best Friends | Dora's Dance to the Rescue | Save Diego | Dora's First Trip | Baby Jaguar's Roar | Dora's World Adventure! | Boots to the Rescue | Baby Crab | Dora Saves the Mermaids|