|Airdate||Saturday, October 1, 2005 (TVO Kids)|
Thursday, October 6, 2005 (Nick Jr.)
Tuesday, April 11, 2006 (VHS and DVD)
Sunday, August 5, 2007 (Noggin)
|Previous||The Mixed-Up Seasons|
|Next||Dora's Dance to the Rescue|
Best Friends is the 17th episode of Dora the Explorer from Season 4. It was originally produced in Season 3.
- Fiesta Trio
- Isa (seen in the flashback of "The Golden Explorers")
- Diego (seen in the flashback of "Meet Diego!")
- Baby Red Fish (seen in the flashback of "Fish Out of Water")
- Val the Octopus (seen in the flashback of "Fish Out of Water")
- Tallest Mountain (seen in the flashback of "Lost Map")
- Big Red Chicken
- Baby Blue Bird
- Chocolate Tree
- Lock (debut)
- Key (debut)
- Blue Star
- Red Star
- Yellow Star
- Silver Star
- Rocket Star
Today is Best Friends' Day, and Dora and Boots plan to meet each other at the Rainbow Rock to celebrate it with a special picnic.
Dora greets the viewer as she holds a basket. She says that today is a special day for friends to play together, like her and the viewer. Dora hints someone who she always spends time with and she's known for a long time. He's got a tail, red boots, and loves him so much. Dora is planning a Best Friends' Day picnic with Boots the Monkey. Dora walks on the path and wants to pick out some strawberries as a special picnic surprise. Dora picks out 10 strawberries from a bush and adds them into her basket. Dora was ready for her Best Friends' Day picnic with Boots. Dora tells the viewer that she and Boots are far apart but will meet up together on top of Rainbow Rock. The problem is Dora doesn't know how to get to Rainbow Rock. Dora asks Map for help. Map wishes the viewer a "Happy Best Friends' Day" and mentions that he loves they check the map. He can see Dora at the Strawberry Patch and wants to get to Rainbow Rock. But before Dora can get there, she'll have to go through a gate and then she can get to Rainbow Rock. He also mentions that she can catch stars along the way. Dora recaps the places in her head and gets going trying to find the gate.
Dora sees it and is ready for the Best Friends' Day picnic and she gives an important message to the viewer to tell Boots where they are meeting. First, the viewer has to find Boots. The blue cursor clicks on him. Dora tells the viewer to tell Boots that she wants him to meet her at Rainbow Rock. Boots asks the viewer where he is going to meet Dora. Boots pulls out a rainbow sock because he thought the viewer said that. The viewer tells him again that they are meeting at Rainbow Rock. Boots loves that place. He was almost ready for the picnic. All he had to do is get some chocolate because Dora loves chocolate. Boots sees Chocolate Tree. Boots wishes him a happy Best Friends' Day. Boots explained to Chocolate Tree that he needed some chocolate to bring to Dora. Chocolate Tree tells Boots that the chocolate was up very high. Boots had to stretch up high to reach the chocolate. He gets help from the viewer and together they get the chocolate down off the tree. Chocolate Tree gets out a blue bowl and wooden stick. They mix the chocolate by stirring it round and round. They sing "Bate, Bate, Chocolate". After the song, the chocolate was ready. Boots gives a taste test and it was yummy. Now, Boots was ready for his Best Friends' Day picnic at Rainbow Rock. Boots thanks Chocolate Tree for helping him make the chocolate.
He was about to get going and then he stops because he didn't know how to get to Rainbow Rock and doesn't have the map. Boots needed to give the viewer an important message to tell to Dora. Boots tells the viewer "help" and the viewer tells Dora that Boots needed help finding Rainbow Rock. Dora checks Map for Boots' assistance. Map was so amazed to hear that Dora and the viewers are checking him again. He can see Boots who recently left the chocolate tree and wants to get to Rainbow Rock. Before Boots can get there, he has to go past a bunch of crabs and if he succeeds, he'll reach Rainbow Rock. Boots pictures the two places in his head. Boots spots the crabs on top of a hill. Boots gets going to see Dora, while Dora gets going to see Boots. Dora sings a song called "Tenemos Amigos", which means "We've got friends" in Spanish. Dora sees Benny and Tico eating ice cream. Boots swings on vines and walks on the path. Along the way, he sees Big Red Chicken and Baby Blue Bird.
After the song, Dora sees the gate. Dora pulls on the padlock and a face appears. The padlock said that the gate is locked. Dora explains to Padlock that she has to get through the gate and fast because she was on her way to see her best friend Boots. Padlock tells Dora to use the key. Dora looks around for Key. Sure enough, Key was hanging on a hook. Dora finds it and then suddenly, she hears Swiper nearby. Swiper hides inside a rock and moves it. Swiper swipes Key, twirls him around and hides him. Swiper runs away. Padlock was sad and knew he was lost. Dora tells Padlock not to worry that she and the viewer will find Padlock's friend Key. The blue cursor clicks on Key in the flowers. Key was happy to see Padlock. Suddenly, Padlock's shackle releases, the latch opens and the gate opens wide. Dora passes through the gate and then hears some stars. Dora noticed that the stars are holding hands for Best Friends' Day. Suddenly, Rocket Star shoots up and flies around. Dora catches all the stars and puts them in her star pocket.
After catching the stars and going through the gate, Dora had to figure out where to go next. The viewer tells Dora that she needs to go to Rainbow Rock. Dora sees 2 doves sitting on a branch, they move out of the way to reveal Rainbow Rock in the distance. Dora picks up speed by running and then Map pokes out telling Dora that Boots had to watch out for the crabs and their big crabby claws. Dora stops and gets shocked. Dora encourages the viewer to tell Boots "Crabs" and the viewer did so. Boots knew he had to watch out for the crabs but hasn't seen any yet. But then, Boots saw the crabs. More crabs came along and made it difficult for Boots. He didn't know what to do. He decided to stop and think. Boots couldn't go around or under the crabs. So, he had to go over the crabs. A group of vines hang over the path next to the crabs. Boots grabs the longest vine in the middle, takes a step back and holds the bowl of chocolate with his tail. Then, he does a Tarzan yell as he swings over the crabs. After that, he catches the bowl of chocolate and some chocolate lands in his mouth. Boots made it over the crabs. Boots was getting close to Rainbow Rock.
2 butterflies took flight to reveal Rainbow Rock that is at the end of a winding path in the distance. Suddenly, Dora & Boots follow their corresponding paths and reached the bottom side of Rainbow Rock. They were almost together. All they had to do is climb up Rainbow Rock so they can meet on top. Dora has to get out "una cuerda", a rope, so she can climb up Rainbow Rock. Dora checks Backpack. Backpack tells the viewer that she needed "una cuerda", a rope. The blue cursor points to "una escalera", a ladder. Then it points to "tijeras", scissors, and then it finally points to and clicks on "la cuerda", the rope. After getting the rope from Backpack, Dora has to throw the rope over the rock over to Boots but it was far. Dora calls on Rocket Star and manages to stretch the rope all way to Boots. Rocket Star goes back into the star pocket. Dora was about to climb her side of Rainbow Rock when she heard Swiper, who is planning on trying to swipe the rope. Swiper was on a flying bicycle. Dora stops Swiper by saying "Swiper, no swiping!" 3 times and then he tries to swipe the rope from Boots. Dora tells the viewer "Swiper is coming". Boots saw Swiper and he also said "Swiper, no Swiping!" 3 times and then he flies away for good.
Dora & Boots each climbed their side of Rainbow Rock. Boots makes it to the top first and then Dora gets to the top second. They both call out. They hug and cheered. Dora had a surprise for Boots. It was a basket full of strawberries. Boots had a surprise for Dora. It was chocolate. So, Dora and Boots dipped the strawberries into the bowl of chocolate and took a taste. It was yummy. Boots goes "Happy Best Friends' Day, Dora" and then Dora replies to Boots by going "Happy Best Friends' Day, Boots".
After that, Boots says that he loves Dora and Dora tells Boots that she loves him back. Then, the "We Did It" song starts but then pauses with a cymbal crash after Dora says "Wait! espera! Time-out!". Dora tells the viewer that they always sing the "We Did It" song about what they did today, but because it was Best Friends' Day, Dora and Boots sing a very special "We Did It" song, which was about all the things Dora and Boots did together. The song started where they climbed Tallest Mountain, swung from tree to tree, flew into outer space, and went down to the bottom of the sea. Of course, they will always be together, run, sing, and play, and so they are wishing the viewer a happy Best Friends' Day.
Places in this episode
- Gate (with Dora)
- Crabs (with Boots)
- Rainbow Rock (together)
Items in Backpack (clockwise from the top right)
- Rope (referred to as "la cuerda"; correct item)
- Ladder (referred to as "la escalera")
- Sticky tape
- Pair of scissors (referred to as "las tijeraa")
- Air pump
- This is the final episode to feature star-catching and an Explorer Star mini-game in the end credits. Despite this, the star pocket can still be seen in a few shots, including the Backpack segment. It will be completely gone as of Dora Saves the Mermaids. It is unknown what happened to it as of Season 5.
- This is also the second instance where Dora catches the stars without Boots, first being Dora's Fairytale Adventure. However, Boots didn't catch stars with Dora in Star Catcher (only when Dora caught Woo-Hoo and caught stars in a competition to earn the Star Pocket back).
- This is the first episode where Dora and Boots each stop Swiper alone.
- This is the first episode Dora and Boots use the picture pop-up sequence alone and Map at the same time figuring out the places to go, they each get two squares, they are both going to the same place and no red checkmarks are included, however, Dora checked Map twice because the second time she wanted to see what places Boots had to go to get to Rainbow Rock.
- This is technically the third (and second non-double-length episode) where Dora travels without Boots (first being "Dora and Diego to the Rescue!") and the first ever time where Boots travels alone without Dora, but they ended up back together at Rainbow Rock. Dora first travels without Boots in the Season 4 premiere episode Dora's Fairytale Adventure, and Boots' first time traveling alone without Dora is Boots to the Rescue, a later episode from this season.
- When Map says "Try and catch stars along the way!", the audio is taken from The Lost City.
- It is also taken from the following episodes from Season 3:
- Also speaking of The Lost City, the Fiesta Trio's "He's the Map, He's the Map!" during the I'm the Map song (both times) are taken from that episode as well.
- Dora and Boots don't sing the Travel Song in this episode alone far apart from each other because they are split up and are meeting each other to the same destination, they instead sing Tenemos Amigos.
- When Dora and Boots sing We Did It!, Dora cuts it off just as the instrumentals start because she says that they want to sing it in a special way, she simply means that the actions in it reflect a few things Dora and Boots did together instead of what they did in this episode. Its overall structure remains the same. Also, this is one of the few times Dora calls the song by its name.
- The flashbacks during the We Did It song are from the following episodes:
- Isa actually appears in one of the flashbacks playing soccer with everyone from the Season 2 episode The Golden Explorers when Dora and Boots are singing We Did It!.
- This episode could air whenever it is February and Valentine's Day, but it premiered in October 2005.
- This episode premiered exactly 2 years after "Star Catcher" premiered (1 year in current airing of the aforementioned episode).
- This is the second episode Boots sings Bate, Bate, Chocolate with the Chocolate Tree, Dora sang it with everyone, including her Abuela in the Season 1 episode The Chocolate Tree.
- Dora's favorite snack is chocolate and Boots' favorite snack is strawberries. This is most likely a reference to their respective favorite ice cream flavors in Season 1 episode We All Scream for Ice Cream.
- This episode reveals that Boots' favorite fruit (besides bananas) is strawberries. Even though Dora loves chocolate and Boots loves strawberries, Boots still likes bananas since he's a monkey and monkeys love bananas as well.
- Dora and Boots travel back to Rainbow Rock again in Dora and Friends: Into the City episode "Dora's Rainforest Reunion", they have the same snacks, strawberries dipped in chocolate, they sing "We're Going to Rainbow Rock Today" on the way, and they sing We Did It! mixed in with All for One without cutting it off at the end.
- Even though it’s a season 4 episode, the copyright year reads "2002" instead of "2003" in the end credits which means that this episode was produced as a Season 3 episode.
- However, this episode and The Lost City are listed as Season 3 episodes on streaming services, such as Amazon Prime and iTunes.
- Out of Dora's Got a Puppy, We're a Team!, Super Spies 2: The Swiping Machine, A Crown for King Juan el Bobo, and The Mixed-Up Seasons, Dora and Boots have always stopped Swiper from swiping from them and he was always too late, but in this episode, he finally got to. However, Dora and Boots stop him as well from swiping the rope. Super Babies is another episode where he swipes but Dora and Boots stop him as well from swiping the Super Babies’ banana baby food, as well as Star Mountain, where he swiped Dora's necklace, but they later stopped him from swiping a rope. They also stopped him in La Maestra de Música, The Shy Rainbow, and Swiper the Explorer, so this is technically the eleventh episode in a row the stopped him.
- In real life, Best Friends Day is not an actual holiday. However, it is actually a national day. National Best Friends' Day is June 8 every year in the United States.
- Unlike other episodes where Dora calls a star for help, she asks the viewer to say Rocket Star's name instead of "Estrella" to call Rocket Star for help.
- Although this is a Season 4 episode, this episode uses the Season 3 art style (because it was produced in Season 3).
- This episode premiered on TVO Kids on October 1, 2005 and premiered on Nick Jr. just 5 days later.
- This episode premiered on TVO Kids exactly 1 year after Daisy, La Quinceañera premiered and 3 years after Te Amo premiered (both on Nick Jr.).
- This episode premiered on Noggin on August 5, 2007 as part as Noggin's Friendship Day.
- This episode was supposed to air after ABC Animals, but it got aired out of order.
- Because the aforementioned episode aired on April 22, 2004, this episode would have been the 24th (or 25th in earlier airings) and final episode of Season 3 if this episode was to air on Friday, April 23, 2004 (or anytime before September 24, 2004 when Season 4 began).
- Boots asks the viewer if he/she sees the crabs twice, one after Boots' picture pop-up sequence and the other when he is closer.
- Just like in the episode Beaches, the crabs only say "Crabs, crabs, crabs!".
- Dora picks ten strawberries for Boots at the beginning of the episode. However, during the rest of the episode, there are actually more than ten strawberries in her basket.
- The rainbow above Rainbow Rock did not have a red, indigo, or purple stripe, three colors that rainbows also have in real life.
- At the end of the We Did It! song, Dora and Boots said "We Did It!" but Boots was the only one saying it and Dora has seen lip syncing in gibberish because she doesn’t have any audio.
- It is unknown how and where Boots found a rainbow sock when he thought that was what the viewer said.
- On the picture map, Boots' picture pop-up sequence, and when Boots asks the viewer if he/she sees the crabs (both times), there were only three crabs. But, when Boots sees the crabs in person as well as when he swung over them, there were lots and lots of crabs.
- Boots' Tarzan yell when he swings over the crabs is more of an ordinary scream rather than an actual Tarzan yell.
Number of stars