|Airdate||Friday, August 25, 2000 (Nick Jr.)|
Tuesday, June 5, 2001 (VHS)
Dora and Boots search for blueberries at Blueberry Hill. However, they must be very careful because Swiper the Fox lives there!
Dora asks the viewer if he or she like snacks, then shows the viewer what her mom gave her for a snack. Dora shows the viewer five blueberries before eating them up. Boots the Monkey comes along and wants some blueberries too, but Dora told him that unfortunately, she ate them all. Boots is about to cry, but Dora calms him down and tells him that they can go a berry hunt and find more blueberries, and Boots feels better. They get out a little blue pail from Backpack and then Dora & Boots have to figure out where to go to find blueberries. So, they ask Map to give them directions on where to look for them. He says that Blueberry Hill is the place to go to find blueberries. But first, they have to row across an icy cold river and then they had to go over the prickly forest before they can get to Blueberry Hill. Map warns Dora and Boots to watch out for Swiper because he lives there. Dora & Boots picture the places they have to go in their heads. Then, Dora and Boots sing out a tune similar to the bear hunt song. Dora says out one line and Boots repeats. Dora goes "Going on a berry hunt" and Boots repeats that line. Then she goes "Gonna pick some juicy ones" and Boots repeats. Dora goes "We're not scared" and Boots repeats and then Dora & Boots say in unison, "what a beautiful day!" Dora & Boots do it again one more time with the viewer joining in. After the jingle, Dora & Boots make it to the icy cold river. They can't go around it and they can't go through it so how can Dora & Boots get across it? Dora & Boots find a boat. They put on their life jackets to avoid sinking into the river. Dora & Boots had to row across the icy cold river. They managed to get across in no time. Dora & Boots take off their life jackets. Boots is looking forward to taste those blueberries. Dora agreed. Now, they had to figure out where to go next. They made it across the icy cold river. Next, they have to go over the prickly forest. It was so far away. So, Dora and Boots say out the places they were going in their heads and then they say out the berry hunt jingle out loud, then they do it softly, then they whisper the berry hunt jingle and then shout out the berry hunt jingle really loud. After that, Dora & Boots reach the prickly forest. Boots looked at the prickly forest and Dora goes "Uh-oh" and says with Boots: "prickers and thorns". Dora goes "can't go around it" and Boots goes "can't go through it" and then Dora and Boots asked in unison: "how can we get over the prickers and thorns?". Sure enough, the viewer sees vines. Dora thought that was a good solution. Just then, a lizard does a demo by swinging over the prickly forest using the vine. Dora & Boots grabbed on to a vine with both hands. Boots holds onto the empty blue pail with his tail. They swung their arms back and forth and in no time, they made it to the other side. So far, Dora & Boots rowed across the icy cold river and swung in sync over the prickly forest. They were getting close to search for blueberries at Blueberry Hill. Along the way, they have to open a gate that speaks Spanish. So, Dora & Boots said "abre" to open the gate. After that, Dora & Boots had to march up the hill. For fun, they say out the places and then say the berry hunt jingle fast and then they say it out even faster. As they got to the top, they had to be very quiet. Swiper the fox lives on Blueberry Hill. Dora whispers to the viewer that Swiper lives in a fox hole and the viewer finds it. Dora & Boots had to hurry and pick the blueberries. They put the blue pail down on the top of the hill. Dora and Boots each took a turn plucking off the blueberries one-by-one as they counted softly. Boots accidentally yells out loud that they picked a total of 15 blueberries. Dora goes "Shhhhhhhh!" to Boots and thanked the viewer for helping them count. Now, Dora & Boots had to get out of there before Swiper sees them. Swiper pokes his head up from his fox hole. He disappears and reappears out of his fox hole and sneaks up behind Dora & Boots and they spoke out loud now and said "Swiper, no swiping!" 3 times. Swiper snaps his fingers and disappears into his fox hole once again. Boots asked if it was time to eat the blueberries. But without looking, a deep voice goes "Mmm. Blueberries!!". Dora wonders who said that, and Boots didn't know. Dora asked the viewer who said it and it was a bear that was right behind them. Dora and Boots both screamed in unison: "Oh, no! RUN!!!" Dora & Boots started racing down Blueberry Hill to outrun the bear. Dora and Boots also had to go back the way they came. They shouted "Abre" to open the gate. Next, Dora and Boots swung over the prickly forest. Then, Dora and Boots quickly jumped into the boat, put on their life jackets lightning fast and started rowing across the icy cold river. The bear jumps into the icy cold river and shivers. But then, the bear starts swimming after Dora & Boots. Dora rows the boat as fast as she could. The boat started to tip on side as Dora continues to row. The boat sharply stops on the other side. Boots wonders if the bear was still after them. Dora said no and points out they rowed so fast across the icy cold river that the bear was giving up and was going home. Dora thanked the viewer for rowing super fast. Dora and Boots took a turn reviewing what they did. They made it to Blueberry Hill to search for the juicy blueberries, stopped Swiper the fox and got away from a bear. Now, Dora and Boots started munching the blueberries. They were sweet, juicy and delicious.
Places in this episode
Items in Backpack (clockwise starting from the top right)
- Small blue pail (correct item)
- Big pink pail
- Small green pail
- Big blue pail
- Small red pail
- Small yellow pail
- As Dora describes the first two places, she does body talk. For the icy cold river, she shivers, and for the prickly forest, she wiggles her fingers.
- This is the second time Mami is mentioned, first being Hic-Boom-Ohhh!. She will make her first appearance in the episode after next.
- This episode and Sticky Tape were the first episodes that got released onto videocassette; they appeared on "Swing Into Action!", the first ever VHS tape of the series.
- In this episode, Dora and Boots sing the first stanza of the Travel Song followed by "Going on a Berry Hunt", a retelling of the rhyme "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" with the Travel Song instrumentals in the background.
- "Going on a Berry Hunt" has been sung a total of eight times in this episode, twice on the way to the icy cold river (normal both times), four times (once really loud, once really soft, once softest and once loudest) on the way to prickly forest, and twice (once fast, once faster) while marching up Blueberry Hill.
- It also appears in the Dora the Explorer CD album.
- The "bear chase" scene is also a reference to the "Bear Hunt" story.
- Altogether, the entire episode is a retelling of the children's story "Bear Hunt", except Dora and Boots are hunting for blueberries.
- This is the 10th episode of the show.
- Starting with this episode onwards, this show now includes classic Hanna-Barbera sound effects and even more sound effects from Series 4000.
- This is the first episode in which Boots cries.
- Benny, Tico, and Isa do not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode to introduce the Wizzle as he appears in the end credits.
- This is the first episode Swiper does not make his whisking sound alerting to swipe from Dora and Boots, Dora and Boots instead mention him coming out to swipe their blueberries they picked by keeping a look out.
- This episode reveals that Swiper lives on Blueberry Hill. In a later episode, it will be revealed that Swiper does not know Spanish. However, he lives on Blueberry Hill and in order to get in and out, one has to say "abre", which is Spanish for "open". It is possible that "abre" is the only Spanish word Swiper knows, the gate just opens and closes for Swiper, or he just jumps over the fence.
- Dora and Boots run back through all the places they went to get to Blueberry Hill but when the bear chases them through the places they went and swinging back through the prickly forest, the Fiesta Trio play their fanfare music but they only play part of it because the bear interrupted them when he swings down and he cut them off.
- This is the third episode in which Dora and Boots go back to where they have started after reaching the last destination on the map, first being Three Little Piggies and second being Big River.
- At the end of the episode when Dora asks the viewer what their favorite part is, she asks "What was your favorite part of the berry hunt?" instead of "What was your favorite part of the trip?".
- When Dora and Boots leave Blueberry Hill and runaway from the bear, they open the gate and say "abre" and do not close the gate so the bear doesn't keep chasing them.
- Dora and Boots put on their life jackets and row back across the icy cold river getting away from the bear, but they don't say "life jackets so we can be safe", they had no time to do that because the bear is still chasing them. So instead, they immediately put their life jackets on and start rowing.
- The episode ends at the Icy Cold River when Dora and Boots talk about their favorite parts.
- Due to "Going on a Berry Hunt" being a retelling of the rhyme "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" and the bear chase at the end, this episode was titled "Bear Hunt" by mistake, but was fixed by renaming it to "Berry Hunt".
- In real life, one is not supposed to run away from a bear (although here it does not apply due to cartoon logic, and this episode is only going along with the children's story "Bear Hunt", where the go back the way they came from). In real life, if a bear follows, one should stop and hold his/her ground and not run. If a bear (brown or grizzly) attacks, one is supposed to play dead.
|Dora the Explorer Season 1|
|The Legend of the Big Red Chicken | Lost and Found | Hic-Boom-Ohhh! | Beaches | We All Scream for Ice Cream | Choo-Choo! | Treasure Island | Three Little Piggies | Big River | Berry Hunt | Wizzle Wishes | Grandma's House | Surprise! | Sticky Tape | Bouncing Ball | Backpack! | Fish Out of Water | Bugga Bugga | Little Star | Dora Saves the Prince | El Coquí | The Chocolate Tree | Te Amo | Pablo's Flute | To The Treehouse | Call Me Mr. Riddles|