This article is about the episode. For the character of the same name, click here.
||Monday, September 25, 2000 (Nick Jr.)|
Monday, March 4, 2002 (Nickelodeon)
Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (VHS)
||Current Airings: 26|
Earlier Airings: 16
||Current Airings: Call Me Mr. Riddles|
Earlier Airings: Bouncing Ball
||Current Airings: The Big Storm|
Earlier Airings: Fish Out of Water
Backpack! (also known as Dora's Backpack Adventure!) is the 16th episode (26th in current airings) of Dora the Explorer from Season 1. It is the Season 1 finale in current airings.
Dora tells the viewers a story on how she first got her backpack and uses it from that day on. In the story, she and Boots must race to the library to return their 8 due library books before it closes!
Dora tells the viewers a story about the day where she first got her backpack and uses it from that day on. It all started when Dora was looking for her library books. Dora finds them and counts to make sure that there was a total of 8. She had to bring back all 8 books to library before it closes or they'll be late and overdue. Dora tries to carry all 8 books by hand but they were heavy. Suddenly, Dora's parents had a special present for her, something to help her carry the books to the library. It was a talking purple backpack. Dora thanked her parents. Backpack tells Dora that she can carry lots of stuff. Dora tells her parents that Backpack can speak Spanish and English just like her. Soon, Dora loaded the books inside her backpack. "Yum-yum-yum-yum-yum. ¡Delicioso!" says Backpack. Dora and her parents laugh. Dora tells Backpack that she's going to take it with her wherever she goes. Dora puts on her backpack and gets a hug and kiss to her parents. She then tells Backpack that they had to get to the library before it closes. "Vamonos, let's go!", answers Backpack. Dora leaves her house and her parents reminded her to use what Backpack has inside, and she took their advice. As Dora was on her way to the library, she hears somebody crying and it was Boots the monkey. He told Dora that he's crying because he fell and got a booboo. Dora gives Boots a hug and has to find something to cover Boots' booboo. So, Dora checks her backpack to see if there was something to heal Boots' booboo. Backpack had a rope, safety scissors, an umbrella, her library books, sticky tape and a soft bandage inside. They chose a soft bandage. The rest of the items go back inside Backpack. She puts the soft bandage on Boots' booboo, blows a kiss on her hand and pats it gently. Boots thanked Dora and her Backpack for the soft bandage. Dora explained to Boots that she had to get to the library before it closes. Boots tells Dora that he can help. Dora accepts his request and they got to get to the library fast. But they didn't know how to get to the library. Who could Dora and Boots ask for help if they can't find out which way to go? Dora And Boots noticed a map popped out of Backpack. They used it and he told them that first they had to go across the Troll Bridge and climb over the Big Rock to get to the library. En route to the Troll Bridge, Boots tells Dora that it was going to rain. Dora didn't see any rain clouds. Suddenly, a rain cloud appears. Then it hides behind a hill. But then it comes out of hiding and starts chasing Dora and Boots trying to get them wet. Dora and Boots tried to outrun the rain cloud but it was right on their tail. "Look in the backpack, look in the backpack", suggested Boots. So, Dora and Boots looked inside Backpack for something to keep them dry in the rain. They choose the umbrella and they stopped running. They open the umbrella to keep dry from a rain cloud. The rain cloud stops pouring rain and floats away. Dora puts the umbrella back inside of Backpack. Immediately afterwards, they arrive at the Troll Bridge. Here, they have solve the troll's riddle. After the troll sings his tune, he makes a net appear behind him. The troll had a riddle for Dora & Boots. The riddle was a fill-in-a-blank question. "Here is one of my hardest quizzers. To cut through the net, use a pair of _______". What Dora and Boots needed to cut through the troll's net was a pair of scissors. Dora searches for the pair of scissors in her Backpack. After she got the safety scissors, Dora needed the viewer's help to cut their way through the net. So, they use the safety scissors to cut through the troll's net. After Dora cut her way through the net, the troll got so angry and plans to come up with a super riddle in the future; thinking they'll never get it. After going across the troll bridge, they have to go to the Big Rock in order to climb over it. They're on their way to the big rock, when all of a sudden, Boots cartwheels down the hill and sets afoot in some icky sticky sand, and he gets mad. Boots tries to lift one leg up. His foot comes out of his boot. His boot is stuck in the icky sticky sand. Boots calls out to Dora that he's stuck. Dora calms Boots down by telling him that it's okay, because she can pull him out. But first, she has to get a rope. Dora quickly checks her Backpack for a rope. In no time, Dora gets it out and she uses the rope to pull Boots out of the sea of icky sticky sand, and Boots is happy to be saved. Dora thanks Backpack and she coils the rope and rests the rope on her arm. Dora and Boots walked slowly past the icky sticky sand area and then they reach the Big Rock. Boots falls on his bottom only to see that the Big Rock sure was big. Dora tells Boots that they got to get over this Big Rock so she can return her books to the library. So, Dora twirls the rope and lassos the rope onto the branch on the tree. As Dora and Boots start climbing up, the rope starts to rip. She checks Backpack for some sticky tape. Backpack tells the viewer in a scared and worried body gesture that they find to find the sticky tape. Otherwise, they could fall and hurt themselves. Sure enough, the viewer finds it and Dora uses it to patch the rip on the rope. Not long after, they continued their climb up the rock safely. At the top, they then have to slide down the rock. Dora and Boots hugged their knees as they slid down the rock. Soon after, they were back on solid ground. So far, Dora and Boots crossed the troll bridge and climbed and slid down the Big Rock. Now all they had to do is go to the library. As Dora and Boots were on their way to the library, they hear Swiper. He quickly escapes and hides inside a tree stump. He comes out of hiding and Swiper swipes Dora's backpack and catapults her into the air. Dora and Boots ran after her to start looking for Backpack by playing a listening game. They heard a "baa-baa", "quack-quack", "Backpack" and an "ack-ack" sound. Boots thought Backpack was hiding in the bush. But what they found was a sheep, so it was the wrong location. Now, it is the blue cursor's turn to find Backpack. Eventually, the blue cursor locates Backpack by clicking the palm tree. The palm tree was the correct location. Dora and Boots retrieve Backpack and the others come out of hiding. The duck made the "quack-quack" sound behind the flowers. And the chicken made the "ack-ack" sound behind the behind the log. After getting Backpack out of the tree, the library bell sounds. Dora and Boots had to run to the library before it closes for the rest of the day. The door started closing slowly. Dora and Boots continued running. "Open, open" shouts Boots. "En Español, por favor" said the door. Dora found out the door speaks Spanish. Dora and Boots said "Abre" and sure enough, the door to the library opened. Dora and Boots hurried inside. Val the Octopus was glad they made it just in time and she was just about to close the library. So, they got out the 8 books from Backpack. "I carried the books the whole way", said Backpack. The blue cursor clicks on Dora's library books and the other items go back inside Backpack. Each book got stamped signifying that it's been returned. Dora and Boots returned the books back to the library in the nick of time.
Places in this episode
- Troll Bridge
- Big Rock
Icky Sticky Sand
Items in Backpack (clockwise from the top right)
- Dora's 8 Books
- Sticky Tape
- Pair of Scissors
- Soft Bandage
Listen to the sounds
- "Baa, baa" in the bush (Sheep).
- "Quack, quack" in the flower bush (Duck).
- "Backpack" in the palm tree (Backpack).
- "Ack, ack" behind the stump (Chicken).
- This episode holds the record of the most times Backpack was called upon being six.
- The copyright year reads "2001" instead of 2002.
- Isa, Benny, and Tico do not appear in this episode.
- Chronologically, this would be the second flashback episode, in which Dora got her Backpack. The first one would be Dora's First Trip, in which Dora met her friends for the first time ever, and the third one would be Star Catcher, in which Dora received her star pocket to catch Explorer Stars.
- In current airings of this episode, it is the 1st episode to premiere in 2002 and the last episode for Season 1.
- This episode shows who Papi looks like.
- After Dora puts on her backpack, she is seen dancing.
- This is where Dora and Boots use everything that Backpack had inside. This happens again in Doctor Dora and Super Spies.
- Even though, Grumpy Old Troll can get very grumpy, he is able to control his temper on later episodes.
- The Fiesta Trio play a different fanfare after Dora & Boots sung the We Did It song (not the one from Season 3-onwards).
- The episode's title is not to be confused with the character.
- This episode technically has four places, even though the Icky Sticky Sand is not on the map. This is fixed in the book where it is on the map.
- This is the first episode for the Fiesta Trio to play the fanfare three times.
- This is the first episode for Dora and Boots to climb up and slide down.
- This is one of few episodes to premiere on Nick instead of Nick Jr.
- This is the third episode for Dora and Boots to go over the Troll Bridge and the third episode where Grumpy Old Troll makes an appearance.
- This is the second episode seeing Boots cry.
- This is the first episode to feature a different font-style during the credits, which will be used from this episode until the end of season 4 (When the character finds are torn down), with a few exceptions in certain episodes.
- This is the first time (excluding every "We Did It" song) where Map's face is seen outside his segment.
- This is the first episode where Backpack makes a major role.
- Backpack did not have a favorite part.
- A PC game based on this episode was released on August 15, 2002, 5 months and 11 days after the episode premiered on TV.
- This is the first episode to use the valley background when Dora and Boots are talking about their favorite parts, which is used in various episodes from mid season 1 to the end of season 2.
- This is the first episode where Swiper mentions the object he swiped by its name instead of saying, "You'll never find it/them now!".
- Dora's parents doesn't tell Dora that a map can give her directions on her travels, which could mean that Map is a big surprise for her on what is inside Backpack’s side pocket.
- The canyon for the Big Rock is replaced with bushes when the rock is first seen. This also applies to the PC game.
- Similarly, it is medium sized on the map.
- Dora puts a bandage on Boots' leg after he hurts himself but during the episode, the bandage on his leg disappears and is no longer seen.
- The Icky Sticky Sand is not on the Map, nor is it shown on Dora's picture pop-up sequence (because it is a sub-place), so if one doesn't remember what happens in this episode or hasn't seen and watched this episode before, it'll be a surprise when it is shown after the Travel Song is sung for a second time.
Boots the Monkey
- Monday, November 20, 2000 (Portugal)
- Monday, December 4, 2000 (Latin America)
- Monday, February 19, 2001 (Spain)
- Friday, April 6, 2001 (Brazil)